Motorcycle importation

Old Hippie

I am thinking of bringing a Harley Davidson Motorcycle to Thailand. Valued between 7-10,000USD. I am wondering if anyone has any experience doing this, and can recomend a competent shipping company from the west coast of the USA, and what taxes, laws etc apply. Anyone have any experience with this? Cheaper to ship engine/gear box separate?

I may bring the bike back after 3-4 months, or 1 year, or I may leave it there for future use, just wondering what is involved. I contacted the Thai consulate office in L.A. but have not gotton a reply yet. Thanks for any leads or info.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD, Thanks ! but generally my shop doesn't do HD's.

See http://www.powerstationmotorsport.com run by the amiable Russ (Hoss) a fellow SS (sheep shagger) like stickman and myself. For OH if you are bent (sorry 'bout that) on getting in a HD be prepared for a lot of strife and bring lots of money. Taxes on vehicles are sky high here and they don't make it easy to carry off.

http://siamsuperbike.com/Q13.htm

For a temporary import, well thats easier, but you are limited to the period of your Visa and then you have to ship it out of the country, and back in if you wish.

can you just put it at the airport ?

I would think once you passed a certain area at the airport , immigration counter, you are "out" of Thailand

Is that the same for Cargo?

export it across the line , and re-import it when you come back :)

Bonded wherehouse or something ?

You might need to leave the keys so that can move it around when you are back at home :(

OC

I have a place to keep it, where it would be started and cared for, I am just not sure on all the particulars...been 3 days, no word from the Thai consulate yet...maybe call down there...I am wondering if I shipped it in parts and had it assembled there, if there would be a difference...? best info so far is it would cost me about 5KUSD and I could only keep it there 6 months, no idea how the other harleys stay there...I don't mind paying a small "Fee" to have it there leagally...the Harleys I saw for sale in LOS, are almost double what they cost here...so importation fees could be recouped with a resale at some point...possibly...

Archived