Lane Xang Vietianne?

Coss

it used to be the swankiest hotel in laos back in the hard-core communist days, apparently it's "commie opulent" in that 1980s soviet way and thus kind of kitschy cool, though apparently it's only a shadow of its former self and hasn't been kept up all that well. I've personally never stayed there, just heard others talk about it. speaking of kitsch, the very lao-style nightclub--like walking back into the 40s--is not to be missed. you can get a girl to sit, drink and dance with you for $1 an hour but most don't go with customers. it's worth it to watch the band and see all the women do the bunny hop, the "second lao national anthem," haha.

don't know if it's girl-friendly, either (the hotel); be aware that many, many hotels in laos are NOT...it's literally against the law for a lao national to spend the night in the same room as a foreigner. if you ask around, though, it's easy to find out which hotels you can take guests to, 'cause they are around (as are the working girls).

don't go expecting anything even remotely like thailand and you'll have a good time. in general, vientiane is not the place to go for pussy. it is the wildest place in the country, haha, but that's not saying much. it is a super laid back provincial capital masquerading as a national capital; it still has tree-lined streets, traffic a small fraction of bangkok's (or phnom penh's for that matter), really great food from all over the world, and very friendly people. it's a great place to go to escape the arrogance and in-your-faceness of thais (if you don't count all the obnoxious thai tourists)...

preahko

Thanks Preahko,

yes I'm aware of the illegality of sleeping with the locals, and experiences with guest friendly hotels or good guest houses seem relatively rare.

But with luck I'll find some info soon.

Cheers

Coss

Coss, if you are looking for a hotel that allows joiners, can I suggest the Phone Paseuth, Just near Loas Plaza Hotel, in a great area, guest friendly as of a few weeks back.

Mali guest house is next door and NOT ffriendly, Day Inn is my preffered venue, but you need to book in with the girl if you have any hope.

I am there regularly, so believe me, it is fun, there is fun,

DOG

The Lan Xang is the most expensive hotel, but is barely even 3 star level. I'd say it is not at all worth the money -- guest friendly or not.

One thing worth noting is that the tuk-tuk drivers who hang out opposite the Lan Xang will gladly take you off to the local knocking shops. If you walk by them, expect at least one driver to casually say something like "Jue sao Lao baw?" If he does, say yes!

p.s. I found the Hay Soke well worth the money, big room with A/C, satellite TV, fridge, 2 double beds etc. Didn't bring a gal back though, so I can't say if they'd have looked the other way. (Nice thing about the Hay Soke is that the outside is covered in Christmas lights, so you can find your way back at night! It's easy to get lost in the dark otherwise.)

Archived