Need another Non imm visa - where can I get one ?

torrenova

My 1 year non imm "B" is up in July and I will do another trip out before then which should set me up until October then another month from the immigration if I need it but I will need another 1 year non imm visa.

The problem is that I have no desire to return to the UK and get one from Hull. Can I do this anywhere here or near here ?

Don't need any kind of permits for a "B" visa. I got mine from Hull in the UK on their standard forms backed up by my UK company.

I could do that again but I don't want to go back to the UK. I want to know whether I can renew it here in LOS or if i can do it say in Singapore or another near nation.

You wont HAVE a work permit if you need a new B as the work permit is tied to the visa and expires!

What you MAY need is letters from Thai companies saying your working with them, not 100% needed but sure helps.

Brisabane Australia has been for a loooong time a very easy place to get a Non Imm B at.

Malaysia Singapore are both places I've gotten them from in the past.

If you work for a company in UK you'll needd letters from them as well as company registration.

Bottom line is, the more you "Have" as proof of a real need for a non imm B, the more likely you'll get one.

I've had a consulate say to me "You need to show us your bank book, plane ticket, letters and incorporation documents from your parent company in Sillypore blah blah blah"

I only had 1 letter, but I still got the Non Imm B, in fact i got it in an hour! ;) Ahhh - those where the days!

DOG

Sadly I am told it is no longer that simple.

You need to check the places that that now actud issue non imm B and inj the region that is not many. You need up to date info and then I would call ahead.

And the paper work is no longer simple, ven in Hull I am told. You need full supporting docs as if you were geting a work permit and for non imm O as if you were getting a retirement/marriage visa.

I think KL is not to bad but check

Don't need anything else other than a non imm visa "b" or even "o" and can get one so easy back in the UK but don't want the hassle of having to go back there.

There must be other people in the same boat as me, just wanting another visa without having to travel the world to get one.

Torrenova - pretty much the only option you have is soft consulates - forget embassies - they will not issue another B visa without supporting paperwork, as simply your taking advantage of the system. Embassies care about that, consulates generally dont give a hoot.

Odds are the only way to get it done easily is via the consulate in Hull. Unfortunately thats the price you pay for not being legal and paying income tax in Thailand. Other option is to get a work permit using that visa and go into the income tax net based upon your business here in Thailand.

Cheers

Since I pay and have always paid tax here, I am not sympathetic to Farangs that work here or have businesses here and don't pay tax. The Thai authorities are clearly annoyed about Farangs that live here and even work (perhaps over the internet), and don't pay any taxes. I can see their point.

There hae been all sorts of noise about a major crackdown. My guess is that it has only been postponed a bit, and when it happens (it is no longer a question of "if"), alot of Farangs will be caught out and angry because it is no longer business as usual.

On the other hand, the rules are so ridiculous that they create tremendous incentives for non-compliance. Work permits and visas are handled by separate departments. You cannot work here on a "B" (business) visa, and that even includes attending a single business meeting. Technically speaking, you are supposed to apply for a 15 day emergency work permit after you enter the country, and that involves a trip to the Labour Department after you arrive. Who is going to do that for a half-day business meeting? How many people visiting here for a business meeting justifiably, but mistakenly, believe their B visa allows them to attend meetings, conduct a technical inspection, etc.?

And how many realize that Farangs are arrested all of the time for violating this law?

Further, and this is what annoys me personally, if you are permanent resident here (I am), you still need to separately apply for and obtain a work permit. In other words, I have the right to live here for as long as I want and no need to make visa runs or any of that nonsense, but I am still at the mercy of the Labour Department (Alien Section) for my annual work permit. If I have the right to live here, you'd think the government would also want me to be able to support myself. The rules in this area make absolutely no sense.

I am probably pissing against the wind again, but Thailand really needs a rational and reasonable system of regulating these matters. In the absence of that, you have a system that permits a massive amount of tax cheating, is very unfair, allows for selective enforcement of the law, annoys investors and fuels corruption. The only ones who gain are corrupt officials; everyone else loses.

You raise good points Gladfly - ironically I am considering resigning from the company I own and moving out of the tax bracket in the next 2 years for the simple reason that i cant be bothered to jump through hoops. I am considering buying an elite card for 1,000,000 baht and having a 5 year visa and then hiring a Thai General Manager for my company. I'll just collect money via dividends into a HKG and Maltese holding company and pay no tax in Thailand. Technically I will be a resident of Malta of all places. I plan on spending the time travelling around Asia and generally enjoying myself and coming back for monthly board meetings. I may even hold the board meetings in Singapore to ensure I dont have any issue of somebody 'claiming' I am still working in Thailand. I am lucky, our income is not cash based - basically our customers just wire transfer into our bank account every month and administration is simple to say the least.

The irony is that I am happy to pay income tax, but I hate the manner in which my annual work permit takes 5 months to renew - every year and has done so for the last 3 years.

There will be little difference - I will still live in Thailand, just pay no tax and have no hassle.

Cheers

Archived