Pneumococcal vaccine

Zaad

Pneumococcal disease refers to a range of illnesses (especially found in Australian children) that affect various parts of the body such as:

Otitis media

middle ear infection. Symptoms include painful ear, hearing loss, high temperature, nausea and vomiting.

Septic arthritis

joint infection. Symptoms include joint pain, swelling, and reduced mobility of the joint.

Pneumonia

lung inflammation. Symptoms include fever, cough, chest pains and breathing problems, such as shortness of breath.

Meningitis

inflammation of the membranes (meninges) that enclose the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms may include high fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea and vomiting, and sometimes coma. Pneumococcal meningitis is extremely serious and has a high mortality rate.

My question for the daddies here; have you given this vaccine to your child?

I went to the hospital today for a routine check and vaccine for the little one and the doctor asked me if I wanted this extra vaccine for blablabla which I knew nothing about. Costs nearly 20.000 Baht (not an obstacle of course since her health is top priority) and doesn't really seem necessary but wanted to do some research first and ask the daddies here before making any decision.

So?

Hi,

It seems to be very new and only a few hospitals offer it (due to its cost and demand) such as Viphawadee (sp?) where I go to.

My girl asked a few of her friends/acquaintences (doctors) and they told us it's not really necessary, very small risk only until the age of 2.

After her second year we may decide to get the vaccine for one of those four mentioned above (forgot which one) since the small risk of the other three is then nearly zero.

Meningitis is available at most thai hospitals, the doctor I talked to said only about 5% of parents choose to give it. Looking at the stats, only a few children a year got

Meningitis so you really have to consider the Risk vs Benefit. I tend to be in the camp that we are over vaccinating which is a result of drug companies fearmongering and using the success of smallpox as the template for every type. Parents should choose wisely. I also find places like Samitvej hospital pushes them more since they are money makers.

But the new DPTP-Hib vaccine is VERY good compared to years by. Far less side effects (less chance of fever and reactions) ; worth the extra money over the old vaccine that had whole pertussis parts.

For otitis media, it's a helluva lot cheaper to treat than to vaccinate. In the States, Augmentin is the drug of choice; but, it's over prescribed. Only a tiny percentage of middle ear infections which are not treated with antibiotics become problematic. Over prescribing will lead to drug resistant strains as it did with Amoxicillin, which many practitioners try before Augmentin.

Also, the pneumococcal vaccine for that type of pneumonia by itself is very cheap. In the U.S., it's recommended to be included with the (annual) flu shot every five years.

Septic arthritis ... sepsis is a relatively rare etiology for arthritis. Diagnosis is not that difficult and the condition responds well to antibiotic therapy.

P. meningitis is easily diagnosed by a spinal tap & very treatable. Therefore, I question the cost effetiveness of the vaccine.

Archived