NOW I've heard everything...

preahko

okay, has anyway else ever heard of anything as wack as this:

I stopped off in a bar on soi 4 to say hi to one of my regulars, no intention of taking her, just one beer and out. when I got there, she told me that a friend's boyfriend who apparently has some cash to throw around was barfining about 4 of the girls (including her) and going out to hear some isaan music. he invited me along.

nice guy! we all went out and had a great time. the next day, the mamasan goes to her (she hadn't been there that night): "I hear that so-and-so's boyfriend barfined you and 3 other girls last night, and that regular guy of yours went along too." she goes, "that's right". the mamasan says, "you owe me a bar fine."

can you fucking believe that?! she was already barfined by this guy, and the mamasan demanded that she pay another barfine simply because I had left the bar with her (and the guy, and the other 3 girls).

what if it had been my birthday and I was there with a friend, and he wanted to pay her barfine for me as a birthday present? nope, I would have had to pay a second barfine for her. have you ever heard of logic like this, even from a thai??

what really pisses me off is the girl paid it, rather than telling the mamasan to eat shit and walking out. it's not like there's only one bar on soi 4. sheesh. and no, I'm not going to reimburse her...that would be encouraging her to take all the shit from this bitch that she continually puts up with. (she--and most of the other girls in the bar--are regularly fined by the mamasan for not having enough makeup on, not showing enough flesh, not wearing the right color for that day, etc. several of them don't even get any monthly salary they get fined so much!)

preahko

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah...OP=original poster.

haha, how could anyone be taking me for a ride in this situation? nobody asked me for money and no money was given to anyone by me. the mamasan specifically asked the girl for the barfine, not me, and she paid it. actually, this particular girl is someone to whom I never give any money, so that's really not the issue.

preahko

What doesn?t make sense is the logic behind the mama-san?s request for the payment of an additional bar fine, but in the context of Thai society, the story makes perfect sense. And the mama-san?s demand is not particularly unusual.

The story is credible. Mama-sans will push the envelope to get money from BGs. Sometimes this is a show to get money out of a Farang and sometimes the mama-san just wants money from the BG.

This is a very hierarchical society (sakdina), and mama-sans are higher up in that hierarchy than BGs. Those with higher status constantly use their status to extract money from those lower in that hierarchy using the feeblest of excuses. It happens with the MiB, it happens in banks (I see it all the time), it happens in business and basically everywhere to some extent. BGs are no exceptions; indeed, because they are less educated, they are in many ways more susceptible.

There is, of course, a breaking point. I know BGs who have left bars because of this sort of nonsense from mama-sans. And this is why we occasionally hear stories of BGs leaving a bar en masse for elsewhere. Ever walk into a big bar in NEP at prime time and only see only two or three average or dumpy looking girls dancing on the stage? There is probably a reason.

preahko said:

what does OP mean??

no communication problem, everyone involved, including me, speaks fluent thai. if it sounds totally bizarre and beyond belief that's 'cause it is!! welcome to thailand.

preahkpo

You have been around long enough to speak fluent Thai and can't figure this out? Did you hear the conversation between the girl and the mamasan? if not, go have a talk with her, and ask what is up...sounds like bullshit on someones part...no need to pay the extra...

Archived