BIG EXPLOSION / FIRE in Pattaya--7 DEAD 79 injured

gene1944

Breaking news on Thai TV:

Explosion on Sunday night at Route 99 Pub in Pattaya about 9PM. A fire followed that was out of control for 3 hours. It is now under control.

Latest casualty count 7 dead and 79 injured which includes locals and tourists. There were still people inside the club at the midnight news report (not clear what that means).

TV report said that some exit doors were locked which worsened the casualty count.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaiSabai said:

hmm just another day in LOS with plenty of dead bodiers for the news reports :(

What a truly rotten thing to say.

what I said was mostly influenced by a TG whining why the news day in & out plastered dead bodies on the frontpages instead of focusing on something positive - however she still reads it!

she added 10 dead bodies a day hardly scratches the surface of it all :(

thruly rotten indeed

There was a hotel fire in Pattaya some years back with a terrible death toll. Turned out the fire exits had all been locked -- to keep thieves from breaking in!

Same thing happened in Bangkok in the mid or late '80s. Killed some Arab tourists and their BGs of the evening. From the name of one of the gals, I think I probably knew her. If it's the one I think it was, she'd even modelled for Shrimp. (Couldn't have been a lot of dancers name Fatima back then.)

Wonder what the Tourism Authority will have to say. Once again people died because the EFFING FIRE EXITS ARE KEPT LOCKED!!!

The fire exits are often locked by staff who are forced to make up any bills if somebody does a runner. That is the problem in hotels.

No doubt the management do not mind as long as they can say 'not me!'

If I remember the main cause of deaths in the Pattaya hotel fire was the smoke detectors did not work as they were radio and needed a batery. Batteries were regular purloined by staff to run radios, walkmans etc!

TITs

Flashermac said:

There was a hotel fire in Pattaya some years back with a terrible death toll. Turned out the fire exits had all been locked -- to keep thieves from breaking in!

It was in 1997 on the the former Royal Jomtien Resort. (90 victims) even years later everybody could see the ruin, black marked from the fire. Horrible.

Meanwhile it is restored and running under a new name, was not easy for the new management to find Thai stuff, because the people were afraid about the ghosts in this Horror hotel.

(It's the first large hotel when you arriving in Jomtien from Pattaya.)

And i can remember the fires in manufacture buildings around Bangkok, which dozens of victims because the fire exits were locked - so that the staff could'nt steal cheap toys.

I can remember me also about a small fire which broke out near the back bar in the Nana Disco two years ago when i was in. Lucky, the staff could put out it quickly.

This happens over and over again in LOS.

Archived