What would you do with a 14 year old TG?

Perhaps it may not be a bad idea to suggest a course of study in social psychology? I know there can be a times social issues with people who are TG's. Perhaps she may want to be helping other TG's overcome social /emotional issues when she graduates. {helping young TG's with "identity"} I hope I am not comming off as saying every TG has some difficulty growing up, but you yourself seemed to be worried about her future working "a brass pole" somewhere. If given the guidance she needs is what you are thinking, perhaps give her the guidance to guide other's she may feel better relating to {in a helping way}

Hi

Thai students in (Sydney)..about 15k at any one time.

Is very expensive here...not just the courses but the accommodation..even if home stays (which we do btw)...

Cheaper to learn Englsh first then look at overseas ...imo

6 months English course here 15-17k THB...and then need to do at last one more to get the levels required to enter Uni etc..

• 2 months later...

If you are living abroad then the best thing you can do is bring her over to your neck of the woods. This is her best chance of getting an international education and being fluent in english. I have a doctorate and when talking to thai friends they either were from families that were very rich or got to go to high school and uni in USA, England or AUS. A public school with you in your country would set her up great for University. Her options would be that much greater. Let her pick what ever she wants as long as she can support herself in the end. From my experience even TG's with masters degrees had hard times finding very good jobs in Thailand. There best choice is abroad.

Just my 2 cents

If she has gone to a village school all her life, she will need a good bit of remedial work, particularly in English but other subjects as well. I would say put her in a good Thai boarding school for a couple of years, then if you can afford it, a full international boarding school such as Regents (ISR). If she does well, she will qualify for admission to overseas university and visa will not be a problem.

TH

My niece has been living in Bangkok, aged 15, since the last 4 months, started the new school year and doing very well at a thai prvate school, about 10K baht a semester.

We looked at a few decided on this one, back in the tiny village, she was always top of class, here she isnt but scores on average 80% in exams so far except a disaster in ecenomics!

I think the key is if they are disiplined back in the village, something I enforced in her since she was 9, then "Inteligence will out" as the saying goes.

If they are lazy in the village school, then maybe a academic career isn;t in their future

DOG

Agree it's an individual thing. Farmers Daughter speaks, read and writes not perfect but good english. She has one cousin who lived in the states for 6 years who is equal in her skills if not better and the rest speak as much english as i do Thai.....nit noy. I asked her why she was the only one and she decided that she wanted a way out of the village become become a nurse so took english in high school. So now she is the english speaking member of the extended family and the younger cousins are just not interested in learning.

Archived