Who should we hate in the World Cup ?

OCgringo

Another reason not to hate the English in the World Cup:

If it weren't for us, you wouldn't have many decent terrace songs.

Can't the Germans, for instance, invent any decent songs for themselves? :dunno:

I mean, how low do you have to go to take some other country's football anthem from 10 years ago and change most of the words except for the chorus "Football's coming home" (which doesn't even make any sense because Germany is NOT the home of football! ::)

That particular song was sung loudest against Germany in the Euro 96 semi-final, held at Wembley, in England. Now that was the home of football.

I've also heard "All Together Now" - which was England's song for Euro 2004. Have the Germans no shame?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember how beautifuly the english supporters sang that song in 96! I also remember it was the germans who sang it louder and happier after the match :neener:

and who was it again who won the title on brittish soil? :neener:

hahah, you and your 'special relationship' for Germany makes me laugh all the time!

Who cares who sings what! That's what the Eurovision Song Contest is for but there english contestants really suck :beer: :hubba: :neener:

It is not about singing it is about playing football, and in a tournament the germans always whooped your asses, except 66 which was the referees special day ;)

I am glad you brought back my insane thread :)

so far I have hated no one ,

I have been able to miss ALL the games and other TV coverage,

But I am headed to BKK on Tuesday and may be forced to pick a team to hate as I am sure it will be shown (again and again) at most of the watering holes.

So what time will be best time for my nap , or what time does the WC get shown on Thai TV , BBC world service etc,

thanks for your help

OC

don't worry about things.

Games will be on from around 8pm-4am and if it's like last time you will have no problems.

sound down on the TV with the normal music playing,and i'm sure you will be able to keep your eyes away from the TV.

surely there must be other things to look at?.

i on the other hand would be ignoring any other distractions........always puzzling to the Girls when i preferred to watch the Football and not them..........

but i'm sure that any Bar which decides to concentrate on the Games can easily be avoided........

No worries here , just wanted to know so I could avoid the main "sports" places

Yeah I am sure that there are many other distractions :)

I just hope that the hotel rooms close to me do not have crazy WC fans ,

on my last visit there was a Futbal fan who had it at full blast at 4am :(

OC

also did they cancel F1 races during the WC ?

ChristianTroy said:

It is not about singing it is about playing football, and in a tournament the germans always whooped your asses, except 66 which was the referees special day ;)

Apart from the sweet, sweet, 5-1 in a competitive World Cup qualifying match on their home soil. ::

I think we'll take that, '66 and two world wars, thank you! :D

If you knew anything about the English, you'd know we glory in those kind of defeats anyway. '96 and '90 were such honourable occasions. Charge of the Light Brigade is probably the most glorified battle in British military history (which, unlike our football one, is full of victories). There's something attractive about glorious defeat to the English psyche. As Danny Blanchflower once said, it's all about glory (which is not necessarily the same as winning).

You're also a bit late with the assumption that Germany is our main rival. Since their demise, we hardly regard them in our bracket anymore much less fear them. They're toothless old news. Argentina is the rivalry now.

Bibblies

Thanx for the lesson about glory, I didn't knew that, that's an interesting way to cut your losses! (i assume that is, no offense)

I know the 5:1 on german soil was a big event, after all germany made it to the finals. The 5:1 was a stick between the legs for germany and for the english the biggest even in football history of the past 40 years! This is why germans don't hate the english. In Germany nobody talks about beeing defeated by the Brits in WW2.

Everyone is thankful for the americans that they stopped Hitler.

England was never an enemy in german heads!

Bibblies how about that?

We still believe, we still believe

we still believe

It´s coming home,

It´s coming home, it´s coming

Football´s coming home

Tears for heroes dressed in white

No plans for final day

Stay in bed, drift away

It could have been all

Songs in the street

It was nearly complete