XP pro patch needed for updates?

Lusty

Since the last lot of updates I keep getting a message comming up saying that I'm using copied software(ok until today).So now I wont be able to get anymore updates.

Is there a patch for this?

Thanx

P.S.Also having problems shutting down.I click the red shutdown icon but the PC fails to turn off?Any idears?::

Did you already install SP2 for XP?

Any idea what serial you used when installing? Possibly 'FCKGW...'?

Which updates are causing problems

- security updates, fixes and such?

- additional software like MS spyware remover (don't know the english name), IE 7 beta, WMP 11 beta etc?

If you still get security updates but not the additional software, then it's most likely cause by Windows Genuine Advantage. Good news as there are workarounds available.

Hehe, the shutdown problems might be Bills revenge for not making him richer. No ideas though.

The easiest workaround for Windows updates:

go to the update page and just *before* you press the update button copy the following into the address field:

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

this should do the trick (there are other workarounds availalbe as well)

:wave:

Two dll?

The patch I use only replace one, the 'LegitCheckControl.dll'.

Newest one is version 1.5.530.0, got it via emule

Users using Windows update have a nagging problem as of now. Every once in a while - I guess every patchday - WGA renews itself, and as it seems with a new version. People using Windows update and the WGA patch might have noticed it.

Every time WGA renews itself the WGA patch has to be reapplied, preferably with a new version itself.

There are two german sites, winboard.org and winfuture.de, that bundle the security updates every patchday. So I download their bundle and don't use Windows update. For these security updates no WGA needed.

No idea if there are sites out there that do this for other languages, mainly english. search yourself.

Winboard also has the bundles for english language, but I don't know if the site will show itself in english or german for you guys.

As of recently I had the two mentioned WGA problems:

the nagscreen which needed a little bit more work since windows had to be restarted in safe mode to change settings/replace a dll.

And as Carlton said MS seems to update it's WGA tool every few weeks now. Just yesterday I went to the Windows update site and the only new software in stalled was the WGA tool. ::

But since the workaround is quite simple, you just need to replace the legitcheck.dll with the latest cracked version, it does not matter so much.

But of course on the long run Windows will force many 'normal' users to install a legit version of Windows or move to Linux, since for many of them to install the cracked files will be too complicated. In our small office I already bought the first WindowsXP to avoid manipulating Windows frequently and since I expect that MS will try to make more and more harder for the user. :shakehead

The IFPI had hijacked a German server from the edoney network for two month and logged all up- and downloads of ca. 35.000 users.

A few day ago police searched 130! homes of edonky users and confiscated their computers/CDs eg. Ca. 3.500 users will receive a letter from the public prosecutor soon. It seems that all who shared more than 100 songs will be indicted and each will have to pay a few thousand Euro fine. :(

Since this happened on a smaller scale before I stopped sharing MP3s recently, but still use edonky to download software and other stuff.

Of couse the same could be happen with software as well, but noone can indict you for downloading cracks e.g.

I am not sure, but maybe it's better to move to torrent, since you only share one file at a time. But I am not sure about the safety of using torrents. :dunno:

Archived