Anyone been to Laos?

doxx

Im going to Thailand with a collegue this year and he's the backpacker type and has insisted on us visiting Laos. I agreed since Im acustomed with North eastern Thailand anyway and figure Laos is similar in language and customs.

Have you been there and what would you do if you revisited?

Thanks

Hi

last year I spent 2 night in Laos-vientiene, I crossed over after a few days in Udon Thanai. I know some people rave about the place but to me it sucked, by 6 pm they rolled up the streets and it was a ghost town, I also found the accomadation more expensive and dated/worn then in Thailand.

Your friend being a backpacker may just love it!

I go there every 6 - 8 weeks, love it, easy to get too, easy to get around, dam great place.

Food is good if you, like me, miss farang food. The local food is similar to many Issaan meals, thin watery hot soup with bony bits of meat.

However other food, vietnamese and french is very good and cheap.

DOG

I was in Vientiene last year went with my Thai mate who was married to a half french half laos girl before he knew some local guys and we hit some bars girls all night 500tb it was a bit to local for me i waited and went to club anou in a hotel about 30-40 good lookers nice light skinned girls good performers as well.Also as ND said great french food cheap compare to bangkok and better imho best french one on the street by the river go have fun but it does seem to close up by about 11.30p.m.I found a good hotel for about 400tb.

I went there for a few days in January 1999, the year I left LOS and moved to Dubai. :(

I enjoyed the change of pace for a few days and the weather was great. Tried the French food in a couple of restaurants and thought it was very mediocre, also the nightlife was very quiet. The most enjoyable experience was sitting outside a French bistro drinking wine, eating bread and cheese and watching the world go by (very slowly).

Guest lazyphil

Yes, crossed the friendship bridge at Nong Khai, mooched about on me tod for the day in Viengchan then came back, if you drive there remember they were froggyised and drive on the right!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Each to his own, I suppose ... but I like Wiengchan. It's much like upcountry Thailand back in the early 1970s, except the damned commie gummint has banned pedal samlors as not fitting with the "image" they want. (One Lao told me he felt sorry for the samlor drivers. How were they supposed to make a living in the "workers' paradise".)

I enjoy roaming about the city on foot, especially on night when it's easy to get lost. (Stay at the Hay Soke guest house, which is all lit up with Christmas lights so you can find it. A big twin double-bed room with satellite TV is around 600 baht a night. The backpackers stay next door in the cheap flophouse section.)

Outside of the capital, figure Laos is more like Thailand in the 1950s or '60s. Luang Pabang is a must see though. The old royal capital is almost like a living museum, with the late king's palace preserved -- even though the reds killed of him, his queen and the crown prince. (Go figure.)

I speak enough Lao to get by, though you can use Central Thai in all but the most remote places. Lao television is crap, so most of the folks watch the Thai TV stations. Big following for Thai soap operas in Laos. :shocked:

p.s. Small nightlife section in Wiengchan. The tuk-tuk drivers will probably offer to take you to the knocking shops.

Archived