Latest Firefox update problems

carlton68

kamui said:

As I said I have no idea of coding, but the *usability* of IE 6 is completely outdated and IE 7 is, besides tabbed browsing which is offered by Opera since years, not much better....

Therefore I find it an impertinence by MS to let millions of users work with outdated software which could have been improved years ago - concerning usability and security.

The usability is not outdated. That's the point. IE is the most technically advanced browser. Web developers can do lovely things in IE that won't work in other browsers because those other browsers aren't as advanced. That affects you because.. guess who designs web pages? At best (if the web developers can be arsed to code for you luddites :D), you'll get a pared-down crappier version of the page that IE users get. At worst, it won't work at all.

For the rest, I refer you to the Firefox myths. In particular, you seem reluctant to accept the tabbed IE browser link I mentioned. I bet I could find a few more with a couple of seconds searching but I've a feeling that somehow you wouldn't accept those either. It's that old anti-Microsoft thing...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
carlton68 said:

Bibblies,

as you have more knowledge about browsers I've got a question for you. My niece was using IE6 for about 18 month. during that time the 'temporary internet files' clogged up to a nice 3.4GB. No big files, only hordes of small files. I couldn't get rid of that mass. Tried it in IE, clear cache, history and such. Tried to clean the harddrive. Nothing worked. In the end I just deleted the mass manually, crossing my fingers. Seemed to work, even IE didn't miss it. But why was it that much in the first place? Slowed down creating backup images a bit.

You have any idea?

It's all in: Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files.

There you've got a few buttons. One is "Delete Files..." which clears down your cache. Another is "Settings..." where you can set the maximum amount of space to use. In my opinion, it's usually set ridiculously high by default (5% of disk space?) and that seems to cause problems later on. I tend to set it to something very low - 5Mb or 10Mb.

(Also within Settings is a button for "View Objects..." which shows what sort of add-ons you've picked up while browsing. If you get inexplicable crashes, I often find that deleting everything in there does the trick.)

One thing that's not very easy to get rid of manually is the history of what sites you've visited. It's sneakily held in special files. But CCleaner (Crap cleaner) is a pretty good piece of freeware that does this and also cleans up temporary files, including those in Windows, IE and Firefox. (In fact, I should just have said "Download this" at the start. ::)

'It's all in: Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files.

There you've got a few buttons. One is "Delete Files..." which clears down your cache.'

Trust me, even if I don't use IE I know that button and tried it. Just IE didn't delete it's own crap.

'But CCleaner (Crap cleaner) is a pretty good piece of freeware that does this and also cleans up temporary files, including those in Windows, IE and Firefox. (In fact, I should just have said "Download this" at the start. ) '

Thanks but I'd like to get rid of the cause instead of periodically treat the symptoms.

The sites that require to use IE get fewer, at least that's my experience. Seems like using proprietary code and methods isn't prefered.

Good on you Bibblies for your commonsense explanation towards these browsers...it's not that MS IE is light-years ahead of Firefox and FF is crap...IE is a good product with many great points and many flaws etc as well, that's the way of the software world, and the same can equally be said for FF, lots going for it, some annoyances too...choice though, is a wonderful thing and without FF around, the choice isn't so fantastic, I'd have only Opera to bag then...

I'm proud to say, that after all these years of PC'ing, the only MS product that was worth actual real money that I went out and paid for, was Flight Simulator, funnily, developed by someone else and licenced to carry the MS branding... :beer:

carlton68 said:

Thanks but I'd like to get rid of the cause instead of periodically treat the symptoms.

Setting the amount of temporary disk space to use to 5-10Mb should do that for you.

Also, on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, tick the box that says "Empty Temporary Internet Files When Browser Is Closed".

The sites that require to use IE get fewer, at least that's my experience. Seems like using proprietary code and methods isn't prefered.

Yeah, maybe... for now. But they still have slightly different capabilities and quirks and us developers tend to code for the most capable and widely-used browser first. Things work differently on even a tiny variation of one browser, on one operating system, with different other software on it...

I've got Opera too but hardly ever use it. I tried it for a while, couldn't give a fuck about the tabbed browsing experience, thought it was fast but noticed it didn't work as well as IE on a few sites I used (e.g. fantasy football).

I just get sick of people bigging the others up just because it isn't Microsoft. It's not even logical - it's more like a "cult". Microsoft does make some bad products but IE isn't one of them. Since version 4 (around 1998), it has been very good. I use it all the time, don't have another pop-up blocker or toolbar, never use any particular anti-spyware tools apart from my common sense and never have any problems with it.

As the myths site says anyway - for security you need to consider your whole system, not just the browser. If you follow most of the tips here - Optimise and Security guides - you wouldn't have many problems whatever browser you decided to use.

I'm not sure if I have the terminology right but I would say that IE has a more advance rendering engine. And MS is able to introduce new advanced standards for websites by virtue of the their sheer size. In other words, when MS does something, eveyone has to adapt to it because they basically dictate and set the standards.

Nevertheless, I find FF to be a joy to use for most websites and for those sites that require the IE rendering engine to fully appreciate, thank god there is an extension that allows you to use the IE rendering engine from within FF! So FF allows you to use IE from within FF whenever necessary or desireable. Just another example of how cool FF is.

Archived