Latest Firefox update problems

carlton68

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I had such problems with an earlier version of firefox.

Right now using 1.5.0.4 and since 1.5 I have hardly any problems at all.

KS,

did you do a clean install of firefox on the new computer? How you got your bookmarks and settings migrated?

I use Mozbackup for backups of firefox and thunderbird. These backups can also be used for migrations to other computers.

As your new computer has the nForce4 chipset, you made shure you have the newest drivers for that. What about firewall, there's one with the nForce4 chipset. You made sure you don't have two firewalls active?

Hi,

Yes, did a clean install and then copied the settings dir from my old PC.

"As your new computer has the nForce4 chipset, you made shure you have the newest drivers for that. What about firewall, there's one with the nForce4 chipset. You made sure you don't have two firewalls active?"

Huh?? No idea about this. How can I find out? And why on earth would there be a firewall build into a graphics chip?

Sanuk!

KS,

the nForce4 chipset is not the video cards chip. It's the chip on the mainboard that coordinates the CPU with all the peripherals like harddrive, video card, USB, keyboard, network etc.

Readchapter 3.3.5 in your mainboard manual. There's a bit about the NVIDIA firewall, a feature you paid for.

Can't help much with the firewall configuration. Never had a nForce4 mainboard. If you use this firewall it is important you get the new chipset drivers from the Nvidia homepage as the firewall manager application is included there. The drivers included on the setup cd for your mainboard might be a bit older.

About firefox, when you just copied the settings directory (the one in documents and settings\application data\'?) to your new computer, did the stored password still work? I guess not. I tried it that way before I discovered Mozbackup.

If you still have access to your old computer, I suggest create a backup of your old computers firefox using mozbackup (you may add the extensions for convenience). Wipe firefox from your new computer That is delete the firectory 'mozilla firefox' in your 'documents and settings\application data' folder. Install firefox and mozbackup. Import the backup file from your old computer using mozbackup.

I know there are also other tools that help you migrate firefox. Someone mentioned a tool here in tech section that he uses. I just forgot which one it was.

Hi,

"did the stored password still work?"

What stored password?

"If you still have access to your old computer, I suggest create a backup of your old computers firefox using mozbackup"

I do. I'll have a look.

Will also check out the firewall stuff.

Sanuk!

ST,

Opera definitely is nice.

KS,

like when I visit sites where I have to enter username and password, firefox offeres to remember the passwords for that sites. With Mozbackup I can backup/migrate all settings in firefox. This includes passwords.

When I started with firefox I tried copy and paste of the settings. That worked for bookmarks but never for passwords.

what are the differances between firefox & IE & Opera ..

all 3 seem to work same same from this side of my monitor.

prefer the readability of opera

the usefulness of FF

& am forced to use IE becasue of MY FF settings that I prefer not to fool with ..

oh .. why not uninstall firefox & do a clean install.

the extensions are wonderful .. easily disappeared & are hard to refind.

From my point of view as a developer, IE offers more support for writing more interesting, dynamic and useful web sites. You can start to offer the same sort of functionality as desktop programs this way.

From a normal user's point of view, going to a plain vanilla web site that doesn't do anything special won't make a difference whether you're using IE, FireFox or Opera. But you'll occasionally notice some sites that specify that you must use IE or that IE is recommended. This is because developers like me get hacked off with Firefox or Opera (or whatever) not letting us do the same things as IE or making us do it in a different way (that has to be tested for).

Microsoft is always trying to offer developers something new and innovative that they can use to program good sites. Sometimes, this can make IE seem more complicated but it's because it's more capable.

In my view, some FireFox and Opera advocates know this but deliberately play on anti-Microsoft sentiment and gloss over important advances that Microsoft make by daring to try. For example, if it weren't for Microsoft, you wouldn't have all theses nice "new" responsive web applications like GMail, GoogleSuggest, GoogleEarth, etc. Microsoft first made this possible in 1998 by inventing and promoting a little component they called XMLHttp. Microsoft took a risk and probably got slammed at the time by Netscape and others. Now, of course, these rivals are very quiet about this. They get no credit but MS try to innovate all the time while, technically, I think the others play it pretty safe.

Btw, there are customised versions of IE that probably give you most of the features people find so special on FF and the rest. For example, I remember people going on about tabbed browsing. I've never particularly wanted this but it and other features have been available for years on, say, Avant - a small add-on to IE.

Archived