Icehockey World Championship 2007 in Russia

Mentors

so, while all football fans seems to be near the hysterie it's not to early to look forward to the Icehockey WC in St. Petersburgh next April. :D

"The Preliminary Round groups for the 2007 IIHF World Championship in Russia (Moscow and St. Petersburg) were determined according to the IIHF World Ranking as established following the 2006 IIHF World Championship in Latvia.

Based on a decision by the IIHF Congress, this marks a change from previous years, in which a draw was used to determine the groups.

Top three teams in each group advance to the Qualifying Round. The fourth placed teams go to Relegation Round."

Group A

1. Sweden

8. Switzerland

9. Latvia

16. Italy

Group B

2. Czech Republic

7. USA

10. Belarus

15. Austria

Group C

3. Canada

6. Slovakia

11. Germany

14. Norway

Group D

4. Finland

5. Russia

12. Ukraine

13. Denmark

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope every country gets most of their best players from NHL. Otherwise the tournament will be quite lame compared to Olympics last year.

The attitude of Candians and Americans usually sucks in these WC tournaments. But the last year in the Olympics showed that they can't handle North Europeans anymore even if they have the best players possible :)

I wouldn't say the attitude of Canadians or Americans suck regarding the WC tournaments. The Americans are having their team problems now but they are only going to get better very soon. Canada has done very well in the past 5 years at the tournament winning it a few times. I know the fans in Canada follow this tournament fairly heavily even during the NHL playoffs and I watch this every year. I don't think Torino proved that North Americans can't handle europeans, I think the simple fact is that any team can win the tournament and even the Canadian players acknowledge this themselves.

It is nearly impossible to call anybody a favourite out of Canada, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia, and Finland. I do know the europeans get serious into the WC and I hear the fans go insane for it too. You look at any NHL team right now and the diversity shows how good all the teams are right now.

I do think the teams that will get stronger will be Finland, Czech, and the Americans and that's scary because they are already at the top. Things are very competitive now and it's the best thing for hockey.

I still want Canada to win ;)

didn't see the part that 2/3 of the NHL players are from europe, that's not true. about 48% of the NHL players are Canadian and you can just go to the rosters of all the hockey teams and add it up but these percentages are changing. If you look at the NHL draft that tells you what the future of the NHL will look like. I think last years' hockey draft had about 6 or 7 Canadian players and out of 30 the Americans actually had 10, their most ever and they had Johnson as the #1 pick. Over 50% North American right there but it's changing where it used to be 50%+ Canadian all the time.

Now the WHC is in April, anybody follow the World Juniors? It is actually a religion in Canada (back to back Gold medals over the Russians with Ovechkin and Malkin). I can't wait!

Yes, Switzerland did beat Canada this year in Torino and there are a few more players starting to appear in the NHL and it will get better. I hear the Swiss are crazy about hockey and it's the 2nd highest paid league outside the NHL.

• 5 months later...

mens07logo.jpg

okt it's time to make us ready! :cool:

27.04. - 13.05.07

:beer:

some end results from the below groups:

Division I

----------

still in progress :boxing::spank::sex:

looks good for Slovenia and Kazhakstan

Division II

-----------

- South Korea and Croatia are promoted to the 2008 IIHF World Championship Div I

- North-Korea (withdrawn the Team) and Turkey are relegated 2008 to Div.III

Division III

------------

is still in progress... :monkey::rotl:

looks good for New Zealand :D

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm#

end results Division 1

Slovenia und France are promoted to the 2008 IIHF World Championship in Canada

Romania and China are is relegated to the 2008 IIHF World Championship Div. II

ok, just 4 days to sleep till the start of the ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in Russia :cool:

Archived