Falang Man....He Stink!

Here's a good topic, me thinks.....From the beginning, I've heard that farang stink (as in 'smell bad') to B/G's. Or to be more precise, to all Thai people in general. I worked at a very high class restaurant in Honolulu for 15 years, and have a few horror stories of my own. I can't count the number of times that customers from certain Euro. area's would enter the place, and the stench would be unbearable. Would seem as though it had been 5 days before their departure that they had decided to abstain from bathing, and then upon landing, decided to give the practice up altogether. The trail of odor to their table would linger for 5 minutes, even with the best of air-con systems. Of course, everyone in their party seemed to be completly oblivious to each others stench. Used to piss me off, as I would get all ten surounding tables saying "CHECK PLEASE" in perfect stereo surround sound. After a few years, I came to the conclusion that different races, or people "geographiclly connected" were perfectly used to each others odor, and were not at all offended. In fact, they probably wrote home that the food was great, but the restaurants in Hawaii smelled like shit.?? Which brings me to my very long winded point. BKK is hot and humid. Most of us farang are not acclimated, so we sweat profusly simply by getting out of bed to turn off the light, with the air-con running on full blast. I have just gotten back from buying a $50 US bottle of Armani Cologne. But wait...there is another factor to this equation. I've also been told for a very long time that a fragrace that you apply to youself, will in fact, smell totally different to everyone else. Has to do with a chemical reaction, of some sort. OK..given all the above assumptions, and realizing that I probably have a very noxious odor where Thai people are concered, what are the experiences of board members who truly know of this situation. What I'm really asking is will my "Armani" stink be appreciated, or would I do better just rubbing lemmon grass root all over my body? I'm thinking this will be an interesting discusion, and please refrain from flaming for the "Euro" reference. I truly believe that I "not smell good" to many peoples outside of US. Just an attempt here to see what the scoop really is on this not-so-talked-about reality.

P.S. Please answer quick. I fly out in two days, and if the consensus comes back "donkey dung from the lower regions of South Africa is the aphrodisiac that your looking for, then I gotta work really fast here. cool.gif" border="0

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone told you that you stinked? Here are some hints if you do. Do people react physically when you move around or close to them? Do they make a grimace or tense up their noses? Do they fidget when around you? I understand where you're coming from though. I too have worked with some "foreigners" who were amazingly oblivious to their odor.

Body odor comes from bacteria. How much your sweat conducts that bacteria is difficult to say. Use an anti-persperent. Wear light clothing because the thicker the material, the more sweat it collects which then collects more bacteria. Wash your clothes often. Best bet, wear a different shirt for morning/afternoon and evening, that's 2 shirts every 24 hours.

In general, if you believe that people "think" you stink, don't use cologne. It doesn't hide BO, it makes it 10 times worse. I grew up on an island where humidity was always above 80% and temp in the 90s. I used to take 2 or 3 showers a day and changed clothes twice depending how much I sweat. Remember, BO is dependant on how much you sweat and how "dirty" you get. Hope this helps. smile.gif" border="0

*added

btw, sweat also has it's own odor. believe it or not, the smell of your sweat is dependant on what you eat. Since all Thai's generally eat the same type of food and you don't, you'd smell different. Not necessarily a "stinky" odor, just different.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: sparky ]

I truely believe the saying "You are what you eat".

Eg. The Indians also smell differently because they have a lot of herps and spices in their diet. Don't flame me for this reference laugh.gif" border="0

Maybe you might want to change your diet a bit - more vegie and fruit always help. Moreover it is more healthy.

Also anti-presperant is helpful. Yes - Armani helps too. smile.gif" border="0

Having a bath before you go out is a MUST !!!

You know...the whole time I'm writing this, I'm thinking also that diet is the key (hense my reference to lemmon grass). So just what the fuck are they eating in Europe, anyway?..... But given that, does anyone have a sense for what cologne Thai girls prefer? Armani has a nice citrus smell to it, but I'm thinking someone out there has the difinitive answer. Come on Ranger, Nepfan, Longgun, etc., etc., etc. Share the wealth. I know God damn well you have the answer to this. Trust me, I won't tell a sole...just between us, what is the secret elixer?

Another quick note...I've heard cotton clothing is the best as it "breaths" better than any other material. Ironicly, silk is a horrible material for hot and humid climates. At least that's my experience.

Or maybe that is the answer. The success of our heros (above mentioned) is because of the fact that they eat the same stuff as the Thai's. The answer is clear! Pig out in a Thai restaurant in your area 4 weeks before you arrive, and you're "in like flint". Like this is going to help me any! So What! I have to down 15 bowls of "tom yum gai", and 6 bags of bugs in the next 48 hours to be a "sexy man". Fuck that! I'm headed straight to kangaroo bar on touch down! Just gotta find a way to make these girls appreciate Armani. And we still haven't answered the question of just what in the hell these Euro.'s are eating for breakfast? laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Oh shit! I can't even imagine the flames that are going to come out of this one. But who cares...I'll be in BKK

OK High Thaied,

You aren't getting too anxious about your trip are you? I am sure you smell fine!

I have never, ever used cologne but that's my personal preference. My GF says that if you do wear cologne, use it sparingly as overpowering cologne is worse than B.O. and the girls will run from you. Better to be freshly showered with clean clothes and you shouldn't need cologne.

Ranger

Hi Ranger,

Really. So a strong cologne scent turns them off more? I completly understand needing to take 15 showers a day over there, but seriously, does a colonge scent really send them running? And why? It smells good to most of the other girls on the planet. Or is it because they are just not used to it, and because of that, it is strange to them, much like lots of body hair, beards, etc., turns them off? What do you think from your experience?

High Thaied,

I would not be the expert on this subject, as I said I never wear cologne. Also, my GF has an extra sensitive nose and asks taxi drivers to put away their air fresheners and flowers hanging from the rear view mirror, etc., so maybe including her opinion on cologne isn't valid. Just shower and change clothes before you head out and maybe use a small amount of cologne.

P.S. are you spending 24 hrs a day on your computer?

Ranger

Archived