Batam - info.

vinod

quote:

Originally posted by vinod:

Hi

I'll be going to Singapore in mid Dec., on business and plan a side trip to Batam. I would appreciate any information on the guest friendly hotels, bars & girls, prices to pay, ect.,

thanks

vinod

There is a message board devoted to Batam. You can find it by searching Google for " Batam Nightlife" FYI information if there is a grain of truth in Indonesian newspapers the vast majority of girls who work in Batam were lured there by false promises, and are kept there by ownerous contracts. In other words they are slaves. Unless you plan on staying in a loseman the hotel will be guest friendly. It cost about 250,000IDR to "book" a girl for the evening. You can buy a ferry ticket hotel package at the Tanah Merah Ferry terminal in Singapore.

Vinod,

I posted a couple of long trip reports on Batam a while back. If you can't find them, E-mail me and I'll send them to you. I always stay at the Melia for about $40 USD. It's 4 star and guest friendly. There are plenty of hotels in the $20 or less range. I like the disco scene there and always have paid freelancers 200,000R for LT with no problems.

Ranger

Have almost 6 pages stamped in my passport from golf and weekend trips to Batam (and Bintan) from Singapore. Always had a good time. If you play golf, you don't even need to leave clubhouse to sanuk. It is provided just outside the shower in every clubhouse. Girls can be rather average, but very willing and certainly convenient. Play a round, have a quickie, eat late lunch and back in Singapore before dark.

One think I don't understand about previous posts is prices in Rupiah, I never changed money from SGD. Not sure I ever saw any IDR.

quote:

Originally posted by THAIHOME:

One think I don't understand about previous posts is prices in Rupiah, I never changed money from SGD. Not sure I ever saw any IDR.

If all you had to spend were Greenbacks or Sterling they certainly wouldn't be frowning, considering that the Rupiah is trading at between 1/4 and 1/5 of its value pre 98. Believe it or not they will accept Rupiah throughout Riau,

quote:

Originally posted by THAIHOME:

If you play golf, you don't even need to leave clubhouse to sanuk.... Not sure I ever saw any IDR.

Shagging caddies in the club house eh? I haven't played Batam golf courses yet, but this puts a new emphasis on the issue.

I have never used anything but IDR whilst there, though they do ask for dollars I always pay for everything in local.

Cheers

quote:

I have never used anything but IDR whilst there, though they do ask for dollars I always pay for everything in local.

Right Spirit Palatkik,

I have one rule in Indonesia: if anyone hits me in $ (hotel, girl, boat, travel agent) it's too expensive. Even if they then calculate in Rupiah, it stays expensive. I move on.

I always have some small notes with me in case ATM is not available and Traveller cheques are not accepted, but always come home with my cash $ in the wallet. There is always someone happy to get your Rupiah.

Carlton

Archived