Moscow world's most expensive city

Prosal

Prosal said:

According to the latest (June 2006) Cost of Living Survey from Mercer Consulting, Moscow replaces Tokyo as world?s most expensive city !

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

Buenos Aires remains one of the least expensive in 142nd place.

::

Funny this should come up, the Mrs mentioned this just earlier and we got into a discussion about how the cost of living index is actualy calculated.

As we were saying on the previous cost of living thread the other week, its all down to the Beer Index, or in my Case Subway Beer and Ciggies.

SD gave a good link

Pretty Close to the BI

Mekong said:

Funny this should come up, the Mrs mentioned this just earlier and we got into a discussion about how the cost of living index is actualy calculated.

From what i know, Mercer's Surveys are quite accurate.

" Mercer's survey covers 144 cities across six continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. The differences are measured by comparing the price of the Mercer Cost of Living Basket in different cities.

The basket is made of items which represent typical executive spending patterns. The prices for these goods and services are collected in three different stores in each city: low price supermarkets, department stores and convenience stores. Therefore, every item has a range of three sample prices. Moreover, information on more than 25 additional items is collected for the Accommodation costs table, Education costs table and Business Travel expenses.

The information is used by governments and major companies to protect the purchasing power of their employees when transferred abroad "

Prosal said:

From what i know, Mercer's Surveys are quite accurate.

" Mercer's survey covers 144 cities across six continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment."

So, Mercer's Survey compares 6 items, 4 of which bear no resembelance to your average tourist or buisiness traveler's expenditure. I would never Consider emigrating to Moscow or Tokyo, but if I was in the position where I needed to spend a few months overseas for work I do it.

1) Housing ... negotiate as part of package

2) Transport ... See Above

3) Food ... Refer to Subway Beer and Ciggies Index

4)Clothing ... Pack a big Bag shop when on R'n'R

5) Household Goods ... See item 1) ensure the serviced apartment is up to standard

6) Entertainment .. See 3)

Does not really suprise me, was in moskow last year (visiting a family member) and found the prices risible......

(even P4P)

Will not be back there before a very long time due to the racism

-> me being eurasian not wanting to be killed by a stupid skinhead.

Archived