Make my laptop Wifi friendly

limbo

Trying to make my laptop Wifi friendly, tried already to download some software, which didn't work.

My laptop is about 2 years old and when I bought it, Wifi was unheard of.

Any advice what course to follow?

Thank you gents.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You may have to load drivers.

Depends on the operating system (OS) you have (XP?), if the drivers are already exisitng in the OS, etc.

The device that you buy should come with a CD with the necessary drivers.

My last PC, I bought a PCMCIA card. The USB stick hangs out of the PC whhile the PCMCIA card slides into the PC, keeping the PC more compact.

One advantage of the USB stick, as a friend of mine found out, you can use a USB extension cabe and position the stick for the best speed/reception of the WiFi. He had the stick hanging out of a hotel window to pick up some free WiFi.

Cost should be about the same for both devices.

Yep, that's about it.

Want to add one thing. If Wlan-PCMCIA card or Wlan-USB-stick, they will bring drivers and their own application for Wlan configuration. Using this application you'll scan for available Wlan networks and enter SSID and encryption keys, if neccesary.

Win XP also brings a configuration tool which ain't that bad.

PCMCIA cards are for laptops, too. Depends if your Laptop has as slot to slide it in.

PCI cards, that's for desktops.

USB stick, works on both.

No idea about prices and availability at your place.

Here between 15 and 30 euros.

As you have a laptop, maybe take it to the shop and let them help installing the wlan, give you a brief tour of wlan configuration / scanning for available networks.

Archived