Make my laptop Wifi friendly

limbo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it's clear as mud indeed. I guess I'm trying to re-invent the wheel again. :doah:

It takes a bit more than just plugging in and using wifi!

All right, what I like to do, is use my laptop on the road, with wifi. At home I've got an ADSL connection and don't really need wifi.

So, am I correct in understanding that you can get around password protected hot spots? That's basically what I'm looking at, in all my techie innocence. :o or is this too much asked/wished for and a bit :clown:esque?

OK, then you do not need anything more than the Wi-Fi card or USB thingy (whichever you choose). For what you want, it is not much more than plug-n-play.

There are lots of free Wi-Fi hot spots. Mekong provided a link to a list.

Some people can get around password protected hot spots. You and I are not amongst them :D. We need to ask for the password and adjust our computer settings accordingly. Most hotels have temp passwords to allow you access to their networks, for a fee. And a good number of hotels offer free Wi-Fi, as does the TG Biz Lounges. If you cannot get access to the lounge, just camp out outside the door and surf.

And True offers hot spots in various areas that Gummi says you can just use your True login to access. I've not tried it.

Cheers,

SD

Dunno about other lounges. TG and SQ (their own, not the shared ones) are free here in Asia and Australia. I know that United in LA is not, nor is the ANZ or Qantas lounges in SYD or MEL.Given the level of customer service in the States, especially on airlines, I highly doubt it. I would not be surprised to get on a US airplane and find I need to pay $5 to use the hong nahm...

Cheers,

SD

Limbo,

the guys already summed it up. On the road you rely on free hotspots, hotspots which you pay for getting the passwords, and of course private Wlans without encryption.

Best if you know someone who uses Wlan on the road and will show you how to do it (with your laptop of course).

In reference to the Airline business class lounges:

TG (Star Alliance) in Kuala Lumpur is not free.

Star Alliance at Narita (Tokyo, Japan) is free.

A few airports in China to be free. Beijing was not free.

TG in Bangkok is free.

Haven't found any airport in the USA with free access.

Archived