Laksa

zob65

Ive had a northern Thai dish similar , yellow curry with noodles but its a long way from Laksa.

Lalsa is virtually a curry soup with two type of noodles , (yellow and white), fish balls, prawn or chicken , other assorted seafood sometimes, bean curd, bean shoots etc. Usually very spicey. Dont eat it with a white shirt!

The best I have tasted are in Singapore and Perth Australia.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There're different sorts of Laksa - the most famous is Penang Laksa, but there exist several others. In Malaysia and Singapore it's more or less high treason to question that the Laksa is of chinese-malay origin. ::

However it's more probable that it comes from the burmese cuisine - it's variations of the national dish in Myanmar. That you can find it in local Chiang Mai cuisine makes the burmese explanation the most probable. :)

Interesting article which I linked to in the post above:

"Despite the generally accepted Burmese origins of the dish a few in Chiang Mai will dispute this and tell a tale that flies in the face of all that has been written in cookery books of the region." ::

The_Munchmaster said:
teddy said: It used to be on the menu at Dubliners

I think I must know the Dubliners menu back to front and inside out but I ain't never seen no Laksa on it.

That cos you always order the Pad Thai you unadventurous tub ::

They are obviously experienced chefs at Dubliners, last time I ate Laksa there it was excellent, but that was the one on the menu, I don't know what the one that is not on the menu is like. Come round one night next week and I will cook it for you and you will then know what a good laksa tastes like. :up:

Archived