Learning Thai in about 35 days

buffalo_bill

I will throw in my two satang. There is no short cut to learning the language. You do need to find a good language course (and this can be problem in some places), but the hard part is focusing and devoting enough time to studying the language. This is hard in and outside of Thailand.

I think the ideal approach is the one diplomats and missionaries use - stop working, carve out several months of your life and devote all of your time to studying the language through an intensive course. Unfortunately, few of us (certainly not me) are that focussed or have that luxury.

If you live here, take a course for a few hours a week. But realize that to improve you need to spend at least twice that amount of time studying on your own. My teacher claims I need to study seven hours a week, which is totally unrealistic, but I usually manage to put a few hours in.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my Peace Corps training, we began with SIX hours a day for SIX days a week. We had one month straight of that. Then we cut down to 3 or 4 hours a day for the next month or so. And that was intended just to get us up to a basic survival level (1 on a scale of 0 to 4).

After two or three years in Thailand, using the language to some degree every day, the average PC vol was still only at a level 2 or 2.5. I somehow managed to get a level 3 in a one-on-one hour long placement test, but I don't think I've ever got beyond that. You simply have to speak the language constantly. I notice my fluency slipping whenever I don't speak Thai that much. I once filled in a term for a primary teacher who had quit, and my Thai got to be the best it has ever been -- because I was forced to speak Thai to everyone.

Don't believe in any instant courses that will suddenly make one fluent. They can maybe get you up to survival level. After that, it is very hard work.

What was the name of the book?, cassette set and is it available for mail order? Also if you have a web sight I can order it that would be grate. I have a bit of time on my hands and would like to give it a go.

<< I was wondering, how does one rate one`s level? >>

There are set standards for each level. I remember in the Peace Corps exam, for level 1 you could have really bad pronunciation, horrible tones, have to ask for a question to be repeated etc. For level 2, your pronunciation had to be better and your comprehension as well. Level 3 demanded pretty decent pronunciation (including correct tones) plus a fairly large vocabulary. I remember being asked questions about American politics, which I did my best to get away from by noting that I hadn't been in the States for several years. I was also asked if I watched Thai films. When I said I had, I was asked to explain the plot of one! When I scored a level 3, it was uncommon enough that the head of the language training came out to congratulate. I hate to think what it takes for level 4 -- probably near native speaker fluency. :shocked:

p.s. There was a funny situation back around that time. A PC vol who had spent three years in a rural development project where he spoke virtually only Thai took his proficiency exam. The Thai examiner was puzzled. since the vol's ability was scarcely more than level 1. Then he asked where the PCV had been. Uh ... Yasothorn. The examiner told him to come back the next day for a new exam. This time they gave him the test in Isaan Lao. The guy scored a high level 3!

This may sound strange but I find that whenever I return to Thailand after being back in Australia for some time I can speak more Thai than I could the previous time I was in LOS.

I would'nt say I can speak Thai overly well as I generally live in Australia but I believe my learning curve has steeply inclined since my 2 year old daughter started speaking Thai.

Fatty....

I`ve found my reading skills have improved gradually by watching the Thai soaps on TV.and then buying the magazine of the story - the written part follows the on- screen bit very closely and because I already know the story line its quite easy to follow .So far I`ve read through " Pairn din hooa-jai *, " Barp rak talay fan " and a couple of others....in terms of value its unbeatable - a written and verbal 15-20 hr. course for 25 bt.( cost of the mag. ).

Archived