How different is thai love?

thalenoi

[color:"blue"] So it seems to me they experience the same emotional love that we know. Add some other cultural dimensions such as family importance, security, status and you get "thai love"???

[/color]

For me, "love" is universal, it is the brains,age, time of life, social, lack or have of finance and reality that makes us act differently and sometimes choose. Choosing in this case can be choosing not to love at all as I had done before in my life.

Having said that, some people experience that "love bug" without other thoughts nor outside factors at times, and all things worked out fine, some are damaged, IMO.

Jasmine

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"blue"] I know one thing is for sure, I have never met women in their 20's that act more like teenage girls than Thai chicks. They seem to be a bit immature and too idealistic when it comes to crushes, love and relationships. With some of them I felt like I was dealing with silly high school girls.

[/color]

"Maturity" of certain Thai women can be interpretted as "unruly" and not so charming. Women, in just about any social levels of Thai society must show a sign of needs to be "led" so immaturity is a way to show that these women need a little "guidance", IMO of course.

Now, dealing with silly HS girls can be a turn-on for certain men, no? :neener:

I can't stand it but some men love it (well, I am not a man either! :)).

Jasmine

Jasmine

jasmine,

I am not sure if your "maturity" is the same as what i call "self-confidence, knowledgeable, wisdom, social awareness, seriousness, etc"

Teaching at a nursing college here, i have always commented to myself that these girls and boys are at the same equivalent level (socially, emotionally, psychologically) of H.S. boys and girls back in the States. A good 4 to 6 years difference (didn't use "behind" because it isn't a race).

I think it is 100% culturally driven. I think in our culture, there is a much higher degree of pressure to grow up faster, to be much more seriousness of what are you going to in life early on and decision-making, individual accountability, etc. Act like a man, act like a women. The "play and fun" factors are removed very early on in our culture...

This is one of the areas we could learn so much from the thai culture on how to enjoy life day to day, laugh at what we term "silly" things and be happy. Somehow, we have lost that in this trade-off...

CB

Thais are well-known to be very materilistic (once they have money access) and that is why companies love to market to them. They buy, buy, buy if they can and that is a big if. Thais just love the latest gadget, the latest technology, the latest whatever. I am talking middle class and above. Absence makes the heart grow fonder (for materials).

The difference between ours and their culture is whether they have the cash, finances to purchase. One can look at savings rate, per capita income to purchases, credit card expenses to income level, the number of quick cash outklets, etc. LOS does very very poorly on these stats from a wealth generation/retainment perspective....

Yesterday, they was a huge pile up (never a line, right?) at a credit card application table in the shopping mall yesterday. All you had to show as a monthly income of 7,000B and the enjoyment and misery of being in debt was only a completed application away....

CB

Hum same in my old Europe.

I just had a look today at the consumers debt statistics and it is frightening.

I agree that westerners are probably more "savy" than thais but the problem of "credit cards freely thrown at people" is too common back in Europe too.

[color:"blue"] IMO...I have seen that many Asian ladies act very childish: Japan, China, etc.

Also, the Asian men seem to love this childish acting.

Just my observations.

[/color]

Oh yes. Allow me to share something with you. When I was at Berkeley, I was just a poor student trying to survive and studied like mad. I was raised to be quite honest and the "maturity" is an honor in my Thai family. 2 Thai men took pity on me and gave me advice that "To be attractive, you must learn to be a little like a child, show that you need us, don't act so independent, unless you want to be an old maid!". Well, being an "old maid" is better off that being with such men.

I would have never talked to these 2 Thai men if I was in Thailand, however, being away from Thailand at that young age, hearing Thai spoken was like music to the ears (not any more). However, that really pissed me off and I told them to go to wherever, just to stay away from me.:censored:

In my career, I worked with Asian men who do like to treat women like children, that didn't go well with me. Something about women's "imaturity" really does turn them on. :cussing:

Jasmine (No such charm!)

[color:"blue"] I am not sure if your "maturity" is the same as what i call "self-confidence, knowledgeable, wisdom, social awareness, seriousness, etc"

This is one of the areas we could learn so much from the thai culture on how to enjoy life day to day, laugh at what we term "silly" things and be happy. Somehow, we have lost that in this trade-off...

[/color]

Yes CB, my defenition is such. I find you make a very good point. I find the girls are "matured" in the case of studying and certain responsibilities in school, however, the planning process, analytical skills and abilitis to do things on their own is lacking, and in my opinion, the mentioned skills are neccessary in life.

It is true that US society does seem to pressure the kids to grow up, however, I do not find that bad. Ones can grow up by gaining responsibilities and knowledge of life without losing certain charms in a way we look at life. Confidence is gained when ones know that ones can handle what comes along at the next corner of our life, not to rely on families and certain people forever.

Your students are to be nurses, correct? I feel that such career choice put certain responsibilities, maturity and confidence on the person who choose such career and I hope they have all such qualities mentioned.

The "act" of needs are just required to be charming in certain groups of Thai society and will continue. Many of us women know when to make sure that the "man" know we need them, some of the women just are childish by nature, IMO.

CB, I don't think the smiling and laughing is really the sign that people learn to take life day to day. Certain Thais, IMO, smile at anything! Must admit though, smiling and laughing does help the face muscles. :D

Jasmine

This is a bit cynical but applies to lots of places (not just Thailand).

Pet Shop Boys:

(Again... Again... Again... Ooooh

(Again... Again... Again... Again... ...)

You dress me up, I'm your puppet

You buy me things, I love it

You bring me food, I need it

You give me love, I feed it

And look at the two of us in sympathy

With everything we see

I never want anything, it's easy

You buy whatever I need

But look at my hopes, look at my dreams

The currency we've spent

(Ooooh) I love you, oh, you pay my rent

You phone me in the evening on hearsay

And bought me caviar

You took me to a restaurant off Broadway

To tell me who you are

We never-ever argue, we never calculate

The currency we've spent

(Ooooh) I love you, you pay my rent

I'm your puppet

I love it

And look at the two of us in sympathy

And sometimes ecstasy

Words mean so little, and money less

When you're lying next to me

But look at my hopes, look at my dreams

The currency we've spent

(Ooooh) Ooh, I love you, you pay my rent

Look at my hopes, look at my dreams

The currency we've spent

Look at my hopes, look at my dreams

The currency we've spent

(Ooooh) I love you, you pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)

(Ooooh) You pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)

(Ooooh) You pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)

(Ooooh) I love you (It's easy, it's so easy)

(It's easy, it's so easy)

<<burp>>

Archived