Patpong - sign the check scam

buddha

I have had this scam attempted on me several times this week at several patpong locations. Only happened at bars that were busy. There was always a girl involved.

Ordered a singha. Check bin is presented to me. Dek serve sets check in front of me and points to the total 100 baht at the bottom. I am suppossed to sign. Sexy girl sits down at that moment and starts massaging my neck. Not too uncommon but something seemed out of order.

Look at the top of the check it says 1000 baht. If I sign they add another zero to the '100 baht' total at the bottom and viola, one singha=1000 baht. They have a carbon that goes to the register. It says 100 baht.

I paid on the spot. one singha=100 baht. The funny things is I believe that to make the scam better they actually under charged me for the singha, as it should've been 120 baht.

Drinks in kings group bars are 100 baht so you weren't under charged. I can't believe they would have attempted to charge 1000 baht for a drink. Surely a misunderstanding, a joke, something... Not even the worst clip joint upstairs would be so bold.

I have been to the kings group bars on hundreds of occasions and the forced chit signing is the best thing that has ever happened to them. They used to rip people off all the time before that by stuffing bins full of chits you didn't order. The signing protects themselves and the patron--punters that forget and staff that cheat. If they tried to charge someone 1000 baht for one drink, surely it wouldn't be long before they run into a punter who escalated it to management or the tourist police. And the kings group bars are serious about cutting this crap (hence the reason for the signing rule in the first place) and the perpetrator would be docked and fired. I now consider the kings group bars among the safest places to order a drink.

haha....I am felt it was a scam attempt, but I cannot be 100% sure because it didn't go through. Thats why I didn't name the bar. I spelled out what I thought was going on, yet since I can't be 100% sure I felt it better to explain the circumstances and define the general area.

Hope that I was wrong, but better to share enough info, and not name the bar in case I am just another drunken falang.

in case I am just another drunken falang

Can't tell you how many times i had check bin problems in pat pong. And usually with me drunk being part of the problem. The most recent one: the girl i brought to the bar had ordered a lady drink for a dancer without telling me. The check bin was suddenly one chit to heavy (in my view) and i berated several of the bartenders. I imagine the bartenders catch alot of hell for no good reason.

Your situation sounds like a mistake because charging you 1000 baht for a beer in a downstairs gogo would possibly break some sort of record :grinyes:

Thats why I didn't name the bar

Yeah sure... Ahem, it wouldn't have been because it was one of the "good" bars ;) ;) that would attract Old Hippie to the thread in a nanosecond so he could go off on the "g" word :eek: Hmm... :neener:

Neo said:
Thats why I didn't name the bar

Yeah sure... Ahem, it wouldn't have been because it was one of the "good" bars ;) ;) that would attract Old Hippie to the thread in a nanosecond so he could go off on the "g" word :eek: Hmm... :neener:

I can discuss the topic seriously. I usually only comment when asked, or if it is being discussed. You are more than free and welcome to go to any and all the Katoey bars you like, and I will defend your right to do so. you are actually one of, or maybe the only one on this board who openly admits his participation, the others it seems need to deny and hide behind alternate board names. So go forth and enjoy all your interests, as I will go and enjoy mine! :)

Archived