Kidnapped & Robbed by the Thai Police

Fidel

I read the story once and I want to read it again before I even reach any tenative conclusions about its veracity (if that is even possible), but a few observations:

1. If this is all BS, someone went to a great deal of trouble to make all of this up. If it's a hoax, the person pulling the hoax has really put himself at risk and it sounds as though he is too smart to do that. (Imagine how the people he names in his story would react; and even if they don't exist, imagine how the authorities would react to a story like this.) The detail here is amazing.

2. The type of information he posted is the sort of information that (I think) could easily be refuted if it really is BS. For example, he posted a picture of the passport of the guy (from New Zealand) who allegedly set him up, bank account numbers with names, pictures of some of the purported culprits and the names of the "good" police officers. If this is all BS, and an official inquiry was made, I think it would pretty easy to establish that it was all BS. You could, for example, check the passport information on the New Zealander, check the bank account information he provided, and if he was just pulling stuff out of the air, it would be pretty easy to prove. This provides credibility to the story.

3. On the other hand, I haven't seen any press reports about this. All I see is a post on some website. If this really happened, this guy has reason to be mad as hell and I would think that he would want to take it to the press and - with this level of detail - that the press would be interested. As far as I can tell, that hasn't happened. A report in the press would presumably lead to the sort of official inquiry where the detail he provides could be checked. Has anyone seen any press reports about any of this anywhere?

This is all very curious. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but I also wouldn't defend its veracity. It's worth sitting on the fence a bit with a story like this and giving it a bit more thought.

Now, on to more stable ground, IF this story is true, it is damn disturbing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That kind of makes sense. There are some real nutcases in the whole boiler room scheme. Also, I'm not really that sure that this is something that would really make it into the press in Thailand.

There was a huge case in Hua Hin a while back where a Brit, whom some of you on this board knew, was murdered by his ex-wife and her family. Beaten to death after the gun jammed according to one of the killers, and his body burned.

Interpol were called in to crack the case cos the Thai cops refused to do their job cos a cop was involved in the murder.

This only got a little coverage in his local English press and was hardly reported here. Lots of crazy shit happens in Thailand that nobody reports.

Maybe nobody wants to report this case.

If this is a "story", the the author must have a death wish plastering those pics and names, (especially of the Police *allegedly* involved) all over the net. Also, how do you explain those bank slips dated 24/3/06 ?

Maybe the guy cannot contact the FBI or other agency due to his own circumstances. Which would explain why he was a target.

Anyone living here with their eyes open will know this scam is definately not beyond the realms of feasibility.

IMO, much more to this than simply a made up story. There's far too many details which needn't have been included. Interesting indeed.

INTJ

They would not kill him if they thought they could return for more "easy pickings", as they tried to do, also they knew they would never be prosecuted as they has the full protection of the Police. A murdered foreigner would draw much more unwanted attention than another "ripped off farang".

Have you seen the business cards posted in the photo album ? I have no doubt that the officers are "genuine".

I also doubt very much that this guy is the snow white "innocent victim" he portrays himself as.

INTJ

Their questioning made little sense, and it often involved the gang wanting to know how much I knew about a former business associate, Mr. Steve Tarr. I could tell from their questions that they werenâ??t after Steve, they just wanted to know if I had any serious dirt or identity information on Steve. I found this quite odd, and I began to suspect that Steve was the planner.

In my mind this all began to fit. Steve and I had started having serious differences in early March over one of his fake investment funds, â??Vantage Equity Growthâ? (http://www.vegfund.com/) During the last days of my captivity, I tested my theory several times by engaging the 4 mixed-race American criminals in small talk to see if they would rise to the bait and swallow whole. I never got a nibble, not a bite. I mentioned to them how much money Steve had. I mentioned how Steve owned an extremely expensive Lamborghini racing car as well as two BMW 730iâ??s and numerous condos. I asked them why wouldnâ??t they let me call Steve and make a firm plan wherein I could borrow some of Steveâ??s money to gain my release? No interest. They wanted only my money, not Steveâ??s money.

Somebody (not me) should contact the number on this page:

http://www.vegfund.com/contact/contact.htm

Ask for Steve - he should be able to fill you in. :D

Archived