Korea, South 106

Japan 105

Taiwan 104

Singapore 104

Austria 102

Germany 102

Italy 102 Netherlands 102 Sweden 101 Switzerland 101 Belgium 100

China 100

New Zealand 100 U. Kingdom 100 Hungary 99 Poland 99 Argentina 96 Russia 96 Slovakia 96 Uruguay 96 Portugal 95 Slovenia 95 Israel 94 Romania 94 Bulgaria 93 Ireland 93 Greece 92 Malaysia 92 Thailand 91 Croatia 90 Peru 90 Turkey 90 Colombia 89 Indonesia 89 Suriname 89 Brazil 87 Iraq 87 Samoa (Western) 87 Tonga 87 Lebanon 86 Cuba 85 Morocco 85 Fiji 84 Iran 84 Marshall Islands 84 Puerto Rico 84 Egypt 83 India 81 Ecuador 80 Guatemala 79 Barbados 78 Nepal 78 Qatar 78 Zambia 77 Congo (Brazz) 73 Uganda 73 Jamaica 72 Kenya 72 South Africa 72 Sudan 72 Tanzania 72 Ghana 71 Nigeria 67 Guinea 66 Zimbabwe 66 Congo (Zaire) 65 Sierra Leone 64 Ethiopia 63 Equatorial

Guinea 59

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigeria 67 Guinea 66 Zimbabwe 66 Congo (Zaire) 65 Sierra Leone 64 Ethiopia 63 Equatorial Guinea 59

This just shows how stupid this is....there is no way the average person in these countries operates as someone who in the west would be considered to be severely 'learning disabled'....

not that I'm generally in the business of defending the intelligence of thais (puh-leez!!), but IQ scores really don't mean shit in the big picture...they've been trashed again and again (and rightly so) for bias toward Western cultural knowledge, etc., even within the US...

preahko

One of the issues with most tests is that there is a subjective element. Thus westerners could go to an undeveloped place such as Africa or South America. And find themselves being thought of as dumb. Not knowing the most basic day to day survival skills.

I recall reading in a Tom Wolf book that we have had the ability to truely determine the capability of any given brain. Totaly objective and predictive of ones ability to acomplish intellectual tasks. Just a matter of a 5 min test using electrodes to measure things. But because of pressure from differnt groups, fearing that they might be stigmatized it simply isnt being done. It would seems to me that it would be much less cruel to not try and force someone who doesnt have the capacity to "become smarter". wouldnt it be better to find what they are good at and focus on making them the best at that. Oh well PC wins again and by doing so we are continual downgrading the brain pool. Lets face it some people are capable of designing the pipeline while others are very proficient at digging the trench to put it in.

Learning begins at home.

How many Thai parents spend time to teach their children?

Do Thai parents make sure the homework gets done?

Do Thai parents spend weekends with the children to promote learning? art? music? science?

Most children in the USA can read and write before they go to school. How about Thailand? From what I have see, no, there is little education in the Thai home...IMO

how should this parents know about it? never had the same when they have been kids. someone have to teach the parents too.

all i can see is this advertising on TV. buy or give your little ones that special milk powder or whateverdrink and they will become so smart and clever. there are few different spots, i think you will know what i am talking about. and i guess the majority of the audience will believe that "informative" advertising is true.

little side note: in europe we don't consider americans for that clever. and as for the school system over there i heard many complains from exchange students about the low intellectual power of their american peer group.

but i will not say americans are dumb, its just a point of cultural differences, i guess.

on the other hand, i can not judge thai parents as bad parants, cause they maybe leave kids 'alone'. here exists an other concept in the west of family. not the small 'wife,husband & kids cell' they grow up in the big family, grandma take care, same as the aunt, the neighbor or the older sister. so the little one develop some social skills getting lost in the west, like their loyalty for the older generation. ex GF allways tells me maybe i have good IQ but low or no EQ (emotional quotient).

and with a western view we will find the thai society with the code of behavior and conduct, with the top point of beeing afraid to lose the face or making someone to lose face very ineffective (you can not come straight to the point), but maybe they are more happy or balanced and stable with that. they have other values than in the west.

at least i have heard that the not so bright one f*ck better.

Archived