I've long had my suspicions

Flashermac

MY concern is how this will affect the bar trade? Will the new higher IQ girls jack up their prices? Bargain better? Screw better or will we be fortunate enough to be spared some of the inane chatter that some of them engage in attempts at getting our attention?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I have not seen many children's books in Thai."

There is actually a decent selection if you go to for instance B2S (bookstore in Robinson, Ratchada).

The kids just don't seem to want to read :(

We could of course force them to read an hour a day, but I wonder if that is the right approach.

Sanuk!

The article scores 105 on my Dumb-o-meter.

Comparing IQ tests among different socities is not a wise thing to do. To start with, you can't give the same test to all of the students, and where different tests are used, there is no certain way to normalize the results.

"We plan to raise Thai children's [average] IQ to at least 100 by 2008," he said."

Aiming to be average is not particularly ambitious.

I also don't hold much faith in IQ tests as they are definitely culturally biased.

Further you can very easily raise your IQ just by studying how the IQ tests operate and then practice doing them.

You could also add that there is no point raising IQs and education standards if you are not going to offer people more opportunities. More educated Thais may make the job of Thai politicians that much harder and in turn put more pressure on those that don't want to share the wealth around.

No, you do not force them to read, but you encourage it.

How???

Turn off the TV, DVDs, video games for say two hours a night. Then offer the books to read.

As a family, read out loud, each on taking a part.

Make it fun and interesting, not a punishment.

I checked with an excellent grade school teacher. She was confident in saying, "They will read, you just have to find out what interests them and get them started reading. Once they find material that interests them, they will read!"

I don't know, but she was very confident and she is a very good teacher...has even taught me a few things like when to keep my mouth shut :o

Learning begins at home.

How many Thai parents spend time to teach their children?

Do Thai parents make sure the homework gets done?

Do Thai parents spend weekends with the children to promote learning? art? music? science?

Most children in the USA can read and write before they go to school. How about Thailand? From what I have see, no, there is little education in the Thai home...IMO

Yes yes and yes. My wife comes fom a pretty normal family but 'her' kid are bright, does his homework and actually have extra hours after shool with a tutor.

Hi,

"I have not seen many children's books in Thai."

There is actually a decent selection if you go to for instance B2S (bookstore in Robinson, Ratchada).

The kids just don't seem to want to read :(

We could of course force them to read an hour a day, but I wonder if that is the right approach.

Sanuk!

The mother of a friend of mine had him do just that. Very bright, know a lot and have disipline to study hard and right. Disipline will get you a long way. I think you need to find some interesting books though as I think they need to at least like it a bit.

Archived