I've long had my suspicions

Flashermac

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I believe the old national average from some years ago was 89 which means that it appears to have dropped... :smirk:

Frankly this is something that I always keep in my mind in BKK. You know what I mean..when you are at Robinsons and trying to talk to a sales person in extremely clear Thai and they get that look when their brians are straining to make the leap,to perhaps understand what you are saying or asking...but then they recede into "the smile". I dont get frustrated I just remember their basic intelligence levels. Its bit like talking to a wooden post(sorry...harsh but true) One sees it especially in the bars which is one of the reasons I dont really like the bars. Yes there are a few bright ones but not too many...

Sad.It would be nice to improve their lot so briskly ina mere two years but this is simply impossible and I believe was just for "face"

Hi,

On a slightly different note, seeing that the governmnent is unlikely to do anything about changing this, is there anything I can do with the kids at home to help them get smarter? (hmm, that sounds a bit odd, oh well, you know what I mean)

We've tried getting them to read, but so far no luck.

Sanuk!

Guest HonoluluJimmy

How does that rank with the rest of S.E. Asia???

Are the low against the int'l but very high for th region. Can we not comapre them against other groups like lets say female's in Iran, Ethiopia, Sudan, and lets look at Indonesia, and the souther three provences???????

Well, the I.Q. test is highly flawed for a variety of reasons as it measures at best maybe 'some' aspects of intelligence....and yes, if you are white, middle class and educated in England/USA, you will get a higher score, however there are I.Q. tests designed for other cultures, so i'd be interested to know what test they used...

But, what i will say is that teaching children to think in a linear fashion will end in catastrophe....but you could also argue that a country where the population is not required to think for themselves is easy to dominate, control and manipulate......

Oh i'm just so cynical! But i gotta say the evidence is all around....

In a bid to boost children's IQ, Somchai said his department last year launched a five-year intellectual development plan for children in 20 provinces.

"We have passed on useful know-how to nursery and kindergarten teachers," he said.

Somchai said mothers could boost their children's IQ by eating nutritious food during pregnancy and stimulating their children's development at the right age.

"Some parents tend to carry their babies in their arms all the time out of concern that they might fall and hurt themselves.

"That's not right. If it's time for your babies to start crawling or running, let them do so because it encourages their development," he said.

>>>> This is my favourite bit.....oh my god! They REALLY need some developmental Psychologists to help them with this....jeez....i bet they wont hire a farang to help them though...i'm available....for a fee of course

Learning begins at home.

How many Thai parents spend time to teach their children?

Do Thai parents make sure the homework gets done?

Do Thai parents spend weekends with the children to promote learning? art? music? science?

Most children in the USA can read and write before they go to school. How about Thailand? From what I have see, no, there is little education in the Thai home...IMO

South Korea, Hong Kong and japan score highest in average IQ test, but it remains to see how neutral these tests were performed.

Anyway, it comes as no surprise Thailand scores low, the education system is not prone to develop intelligence.

It should also be noted that IQ tests are what they are, being nothing more than that: a test and that there is much much more to human beings than intelligence.

In fact all eduction systems are based on tradition, we learned how to educate children from our parents and so on,for thousands of years. Recents psychological studies have shown that we would behave completely different if education would be based on actual knowledge of psychology hidden away in universities.

Shool systems were not invented to improve the quality of the product they are "educating", the intention being to to fit society people have to evolve in.

Do they teach how to educate children in school???

Fuck and make babies, but no clue how make the best out of children. :banghead:

We are truly fucked for 100's of generations to come and not many people care because 99.99% of humanity have no clue we should care about someting we don't know about. :cussing:

Khun Sanuk,

I have not seen many children's books in Thai. I have never seen the names of Thai writing for children.

My family is giving away over $3K in children's books we have collected over the past 7 or so years to a private school.

I feel sorry for the Thai's that have only comic/novellas to read.

Journey

Archived