SIm Card Upgrades will be requred

rickfarang

One of life's little complications. Some may fall through the crack.

---------------

Sim updates needed for 10-digit dialling

SRISAMORN PHOOSUPHANUSORN

"Come and upgrade your mobile Sim card free of charge at your operators' shops nationwide, starting from Sept 1 until Nov 30, or you won't be able to receive incoming calls."

If you haven't already received an SMS such as the one above, you will soon, as mobile-phone operators prepare to shift their customers into the world of 10-digit dialling.

All operators say they're ready to use the 10-digit system by Sept 1, the deadline set by the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC).

But they have expressed doubts over the ability of fixed-line telephone service providers to adapt their switching networks and older technology to face the change.

The switch to 10 digits from nine will require users to add an '8' in the middle of the existing two-digit prefix, followed by the existing seven-digit number, in order to make either a mobile-to-mobile or a mobile-to-fixed-line call. For example, numbers starting with 01, 09 and 02 will become 081, 089 and 082 respectively.

The new system will increase the potential number of telephone numbers from 90 million to 300 million, to meet growth over the next 30 years.

All new mobile subscribers, both prepaid and postpaid, after Sept 1, will automatically be on the 10-digit system with a new type of Sim card.

Everyone else will have to have their numbers and Sim cards adjusted, with a grace period until Nov 30, otherwise they cannot receive calls. The short message service (SMS) system will be fully switched over to 10 digits next March.

Wichien Mektrakarn, executive vice-president for operations of Advanced Info Service, said AIS had seen no problems so far in its trials of 10-digit dialling.

"The actual conversion of new-subscriber numbers to the new format will start from Sept 1, with our existing 17 million subscribers having an additional three months to upgrade their Sim cards at our Telewiz shops and dealers nationwide," he said.

Sunti Medhavikul, chief customer officer of DTAC, said his company's switching software had transferred to the new system since last month, and free Sim card upgrading services will be available at 350 DTAC shops nationwide from Sept 1.

DTAC has also developed applications to allow customers to edit their mobile numbers in the phonebook memory to convert to the new system.

Mr Sunti said the 10-digit system would eliminate a number shortage problem, create fairer competition and benefit overall telecom industry.

The provincial fixed-line operator TT&T, says its switching units are not as old as mobile operators claim, and that there will be no problem converting to the new system.

Guest HonoluluJimmy

You know what else is fucked about that. I store my number on my sim card rather than the phone so I'll have to manually more them all over but changing the file number so it sits on the mobile... or I could just have all those numbers mover to my Farang Mobile and the back to the thai Mobile....Ok, why do I use two handhelds...

My Hawaii mobile is CDMA (cause I get a free phone and call Thailand for 20 mis 3 or 4 times a week) and my Thai is a Moto V66 GSM....

I love Tech, its like a TG, you love her bust she keeps fucking you!

Now, does anybody know where you can get you phone book moved between mobiles in BKK, I know MBK or PanTip, but specifically where please.

OK, just back from Pan Tip...899 phone shops later and 898 blank Thai stares looking back at me...as they had no idea what I was talking about.

Found one shop on the ground floor, right side along the wall (your back to the front of the shop), in line with the back of the escalator (going up)...he seemed to know what I was talking about and he said that there was no need to upgrade the SIM...OK...and he knew about the "8" added to the phone number.

Looks like for me, it will be "wait and see" :confused:

OK, just back from Pan Tip...899 phone shops later and 898 blank Thai stares looking back at me...as they had no idea what I was talking about.

Found one shop on the ground floor, right side along the wall (your back to the front of the shop), in line with the back of the escalator (going up)...he seemed to know what I was talking about and he said that there was no need to upgrade the SIM...OK...and he knew about the "8" added to the phone number.

Looks like for me, it will be "wait and see" :confused:

i think this is what it will happens.

But, we talk here about Amazing Thailand, who knows :dunno:

Remembers me about the prepay sim-card register

chaos last year.

As for copying SIM cards (aka xferring the phone book), just go to the office of your service provider. AIS will do this for you (free for postpaid, dunno about 1-2-Call). I am sure DTAC and others can too.

Cheers,

SD

According to todays 2Bangkok.com web site the wait is over - at least for 081 numbers as it doesn't mention others. You can reportedly now dial the new 081 numbers...

Works on 09 also. 05 does not. Or maybe it is a postpaid vs prepaid thing? My 09 number is AIS postpaid, but the 05 is 1-2-Call.

Cheers,

SD

Archived