Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

How far are these places by cab? What visit sequence would you recommend? What rates do you end up with for top notch overnight talent?

James, in JKT everythings depends on you, as it's very easy these days to have a relationship with a girl, even for only one night, with no money involved (see my precedents posts for the best spots of the moment).

But it's easy too to stay in the routine of the prostitution's professonials that you'll find in Bat's,Tanamur,or Block M joints.

In this case,yes you can go in Bat's,wich is equivalent of Spasso in BKK,with rich expats and unaventurous tourists,and expect to pay the top rates of town,for a average quality of girls.Block M joints are on the bottom end ,with cheap or even free girls,not so cleans,and you'll rarely see a stunner there.Tanamur is now,as Gado said,a kind of gay point,and girls there are hardcore drugged hookers.

So yes i think Indonesia could be one of the heaven on hearth for easy going sanuk with beautiful non pro girls, but in the professional scene, girls are,IMO,very average,often drugged,and many NEVER heard of condoms.

So if you go there, take your time, go everywhere with no restrictions, be adventurous, respect the people there (all girls are not prostitutes !),then you'll have unforgotable time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by xjames:

I quote:

"I hit Klub, TG, Oscars, Lintas Melawai, and JJs last night"

Hi, and this is fascinating. How do you do this?

Well, the first 4 of those are within 5 minutes of each other and JJs isn't far away (and next door to Tanamur).

I was in Tanamur a couple of weeks ago (see Jakarta/Bandung Update thread) and there were no problems with the lighting then. However, on a Sunday night, at midnight, on the day before Gus was impeached, it would have taken you about 30 seconds to 'scope the talent' - though there were a couple I would have pursued had I not been with my truelove!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Prosal:

But it's easy too to stay in the routine of the prostitution's professonials that you'll find in Bat's,Tanamur,or Block M joints.

In this case,yes you can go in Bat's,wich is equivalent of Spasso in BKK,with rich expats and unaventurous tourists,and expect to pay the top rates of town,for a average quality of girls.Block M joints are on the bottom end ,with cheap or even free girls,not so cleans,and you'll rarely see a stunner there.Tanamur is now,as Gado said,a kind of gay point,and girls there are hardcore drugged hookers.

So yes i think Indonesia could be one of the heaven on hearth for easy going sanuk with beautiful non pro girls, but in the professional scene, girls are,IMO,very average,often drugged,and many NEVER heard of condoms.

So if you go there, take your time, go everywhere with no restrictions, be adventurous, respect the people there (all girls are not prostitutes !),then you'll have unforgotable time.

I think this is very harsh, Prosal, from my very limited experience. Calling these girls hardcore professionals is very misleading if someone is looking for a comparison with Bangkok. On both my visits I have seen and met beautiful, friendly girls in all of the bars you name and not one of them has talked about money, even if that was just part of 'the game'.

In Tanamur two weeks ago I saw one katoey, no blokes who didn't appear to be watching the girls dancing and nobody showing any signs of being off their heads - OK, that doesn't mean they weren't but you really are giving a false impression of the place here.

I agree with your last paragraph but not everyone has the time or the confidence, especially if they don't even know where they are.

LG

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Originally posted by Long Gun:

[QB]I think this is very harsh, Prosal, from my very limited experience. Calling these girls hardcore professionals is very misleading if someone is looking for a comparison with Bangkok

In Tanamur nobody showing any signs of being off their heads - OK, that doesn't mean they weren't but you really are giving a false impression of the place here.

OK Longun,i agree,most Indo girls,even those

'working' in the expats joints,are not all hardcore and much less interested in money than their thai equivalents.Some (few) are real gems.

But what i mean is that the few joints we are talking about are a very very little part of JKT sanuking scene,with not necessary the best girls,and not even talking of the 'normal spots'.

If you read posts from indonesian forum 'Hindung Bel@ang Indonesia' on delphi,about sex in JKT,you will not find even one time on thousand posts about hundred joints the names of Tanamur,Bat's,Block M or JJ,and be sure Indonesians are experts in their own country and know where to find the best girls,chinese or indo style.I can assume that everywhere in JKT, foreigners are welcome,with the only

problem that in those places, many girls have NEVER been with a caucasian, and hesitate because they are sure our dick is too big for them !!

Originally posted by Prosal:

Prosal,

The main stream place are only what they are because of the flux of tourists and expats they have seen over the years. Mind you, I have taken girls out of Tanamur and become good friends with them over time. I remember a time I woke up with a nice Tanamur petite thing one morning and she hit me up for cash. One of my buddies rolled up to the hotel to take me surfing for the weekend to Batu Karas. I ask the girl if she wanted to come and she she ok. We ended up staying 4 days. She didnt even have the chance to get a change of clothes.

After 4 days and a lot of laughs together and some new clothes she had changed. When we arrived back to Jakarta she went out and bought me some slacks and a shirt from block M to show here appreciation. She bought me some medicine as I was feeling a bit sick after swallowing some toxic water in BK. She never ask me for another Rupiah. I then saw her for LT visits over the next couple of years. As she turned out to be the possesive, jealous type in the end I would only ring her at the end of my trip so I would have other Sanuk opportunities.

I must admit girls like this are few and far between in the places listed.

The only thing I like about these places is the security surrounding them. If you want to have a big night out on the piss, do it at Bats or JJ's.

If you get to many of the real local places you will find some very genuine good time girls but always have to keep eyes peeled for a few stealth pick pockets. I've met heaps of girls over the years who have had their hand phones swiped by these pricks.

Anyway, I am the adventurous type.

Regards

Gado

BTW,

Can you send me a link to the delphi forum indonesia 'Hindung Bel@ang Indonesia' Spent ages searching for it on www.delphi.com and couldn't find it.

quote:

Originally posted by gadogado:

BTW,

Can you send me a link to the delphi forum indonesia 'Hindung Bel@ang Indonesia' Spent ages searching for it on
and couldn't find it.[/QB]

OK Gado,just sent.

As i leave next Tuesday for 4 weeks in JKT with a little side trip in Java (maybe Solo and Malang),any fellow sanuker in Indo at this moment can mail me at go2pr@yahoo.fr , for a meeting,i don't know, maybe in JJ or Tiara Cera !(or wherever we can find jugs and chicks)

If i find new spots for adventurous sanukers,i'll make a report !!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Not to get excited; in Jakarta September 2, and quick audit of situation. At midnight Sunday, Tanamur has 11 high mileage dancers on floor (probably paid by establishment to try and make it look busy), even two girls on catwalk would top 150 pounds (each) on marine scales, entrance fee of IRS 30,000 which is supposed to cover one drink, but if you order drink, it costs plus IRS 13,000 for total of IRS 43,000 which gets you gin and tonic minus gin. Place looks like Titanic 30 minutes after captain and crew have evacuated. Lots of noise, but lots of desperation!

BATS in Shangri La closed at Midnight, no real action up to then, except for aboiuyt a dozen high mileage units as above. Top Gun and Oscars and all close by places closed by 23:00. "Not enough business". Earlier visit to Melawai 1 Massage on 6th floor about 16:00 gives about 15 high mileage mothers of someone not there. Tiera usually good as Country Today has a few teenie boppers but they are hardened and very few good lookers. The Mamasan keeps tight rein on the three or four teenies that are bookable under duress. Clients must book and use room on site for about IRS 150,000, which involves waiting on a bench with your oil change in full view of audience, until some other guy has shot his load and walks sheepinshly by preceded by his mechanic. All in all, a very pathetic situation. Where have they all gone?

XJ

quote:

Originally posted by Maribayaman:

Indonesia and particularly Jakarta is worth a visit, if you're looking for the water trade crafts.

My comments on this and the other posts above:

IMHO, Indonesian disintegration is way overblown. Too big a country, and the folks just don't have the appetite for it. Life goes on in Jakarta, no matter what happens to Aceh and Irian.

As for the fuel price increase of 30% that someone above referred to , it's to take effect sometime this month (June 15th, I think) they'll probably implement it and then if things get rough roll it back to 15% or something like they did the last time. The riots in May 1998 had very little to do with fuel price increases and everything to do with Soeharto and other issues. The increase was used as an excuse, however, to start things off.

As for security, you won't get shot here as they don't have guns. I've been here 10+ years and have never been pickpocketed or felt in danger (other than in work-related situations). Higher probability of getting injured walking down Sukhumvit by a sidewalk motorcyclist or forgetting to look both ways.

The posts are right that it is spread out and you need a taxi. Get a silverbird for the evening and it'll cost you $25 depending on where you go.

If you're coming I strongly recommend the Ambhara Hotel in Blok M. At Rp 500,000 for a junior suite (say you're with Mobil, IBM, Santa Fe or some other such company) at a corporate rate it can't be beat. Email at ambbc@cbn.net.id.

Its got a decent pub (Stamford Arms) with a few girls and disco sama-sama (Arios). Its within 100 m of Blok M bars on Faletehan (The Klub, Top Gun, Pentagon, Oscars) and a short 5 minute taxi ride to Lintas Melawai Bar/Disco next to the Melawai Hotel. In the day its an easy walk to Melawai, and you'll want to hit the 6th floor massage parlor. BTW Lintas stays open till about 3-4 AM, and the disco doesn't get going till 1100PM.

During the day go to the Pasaraya Food Court across the street from the Ambhara and you can always pick up some girls for a ST at the hotel. Try the Beer Garden in the basement, but there are a bunch of other places to hang-about and pick-up girls walking around. Always some interesting girls at 5-7 PM as the Japanese Slave Trade girls are readying themselves to go to work in the Karoake joints behind the Melawai Hotel.

Uptown go to BATS, Tiga Puluh, HardRock, JJs, and Tanamur (thats enough to get anyone started). If you are interested in day activities up north, try the Kartika Massage on Hayam Waruk or Tiara Ceria in Lokasari Plaza off Mangga Dua. Stadium is also OK on the weekend days for massage - get the VIP room with the vibrating bed - but doesn't get going until 1600 or so during the week. Never a big fan of the Stadium Disco, which is open 24 hours on Fri and Sat nights.

Jakarta is worth a trip. The girls are much more innocent than you normal Thai BG, sort of like the Thai BGs were like in 1981.

Key security principles include

1. Pay your bill. Protest once if its a ripoff, if that doesn't work ask for the manager. No success, pay it and leave. NEVER GET UPSET OR RAISE YOUR VOICE.

2. Pay the tout (only one) Rp 1000 when getting in a taxi in Blok M late at night. Don't be rude.

3. Don't give offense or take offense. Don't worry about cat calls or 'hey mister' - smile and keep on walking.

4. Remember that everything moves at a different pace here in Jakarta, and it's usually about 20 mph slower than most westerners are used to.

5. Be friendly.

6. I always keep a Silverbird if I'm going uptown (JJs, Tanamur, Tiara Ceria) or others at night.

7. If you're stuck without a cab, have the club (whereever you are) security get you a taxi.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Selamat datang.

Hi, I am in Jakarta just now, and every place you quoted is just dead. What happened?

XJ

All in all, a very pathetic situation. Where have they all gone?

Xjames

As i am in JKT since three weeks now,i can't totally agree with you about situation here.

Some places are very busy,plenty of good lookers,and yes it's true,others are a little down,like block M joints,Tanamur (wich have always been,IMO,very poor in quality) and even JJ some weekdays (it was crowded last weekend,and good yesterday,i went home with a 9 partying with friends,all fully drunken,so good people could die for in BKK)

I could suggest you make a visit tonight at Tiga Puluh in Meridien,top of the moment,really very good (but pricey drinks,220 baths imported beer) and full of freelancers with many 8 and 9.

CJ is good too,specially on Sundays when Tiga Puluh is closed,always crowded and a very good band,but closed today,and JJ is anyway ALWAYS worth a visit,but never before 1.30 .

I agree about Tiara Cera,Oscar and Bats,wich is now home for rich unaventurous bussiness tourists and very average hookers.

Tonight,for a little change,i go north to Hai Lai,then of course Tiga Puluh,and maybe see you later in JJ (short hairs,glasses and Miller beer!!),leaving JKT on 10 Sept.

Cheers

Prosal

Many thanks Prosal,

That's encouraging. I'll head to Meridien tomorrow night (Tuesday), as just too hard and intensive work today to leave much energy for sanuk. I am here working hard, not on holiday, and a 01:30 start would leave me looking too poor to face the government and bankers in heavy sessions the next day.

Bestest!

James

Archived