Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

I am headed to Jakarta tomorrow! I'm hoping my first visit isn't disappointing like your's was. I definitely am not interested patronizing brothels, the scene I'm looking for is much more like what you prefer. Any tips on where I might find someone to 'point me in the right direction'?

Well, there are several on this board, this thread in particular has loads of suggestions. Safest/easiest/cheapest bet would appear to be Blok M where there are several bars close together and where a few minutes listening to the band in Oscars will probably have you overwhelmed by the attention. If nothing appeals by closing time, head round to the Lintas Melawai disco. These places seem to be regarded as the bottom end but I have met some delightful girls there. Alternatively, JJs and Tanamur which are very close to each other should also provide plenty of choice.

More upmarket options can be found in the bars/discos in the better hotels, like the Shangri La and the Hyatt and the Hard Rock is also full of freelancers.

Those are the places I know but read Prosal's suggestions for a current selection of what's hot. If Mr James could be persuaded to post of his experiences then they might give you another opinion to chew on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

May i step in? Frankly, if you think that Kuta and P are just about the same.... I guess both have tourists, girls from outside provinces, discos.... But tell me more about the gogos in Kuta, and what street is that that has 2 dozen bars on each side, repeated 4 or 5 times in each neighborood. I missed Kuta's walking street, and Beach Rd scene too, as well as locals discos/pubs and live band venues, (Pattaya is flooded with them), playing nothing but their own brand of provincial music. How about Indo food compared to thai, any contest? . Enlighten us,please....

I was afraid of this answer. We're on different wave length. Not much point. No hard feelings either I hope. Will leave it to the "experts" to comment on "sanuk" in future. There's actually gogo bars in Pattaya ? And Thai food ? I must have been comparing heaven to hell! I feel humbled (gg).

Take care.

PS: Do you recon the 2 million Aussies visiting Bali during peak season are aware of how dismal Kuta compares to Pattaya ? Somebody ought to warn those poor bastards !

Again, different things for different people. I still like Cuba very much and a lot of people consider it a hell hole. I've been working in Nigeria for a year. Did not enjoy it any African slapper will make you wonder what the hell you were thinking feeling sexually atracted to PP/NEP BGs. Except for some highly specialized stuff like soapies and BJ bars, Asia (*all* Asia) is hardly the place to go if you want to have great sex.

The *original* question was about whether to embark on a trip to Jakarta for "sanuk". It was a mistake on my part to answer that and I regret it. Coz I lost my infatuation with BKK nightlife too. It was just stupid on my part to reply. I'm not on this board to comment on the "best" bar in Soi or NEP 'coz it's all a big blurr to me anyway.

The original poster was wondering about whether to go to Jakarta or Cambodia. For what *ever* reason: That should *not* be a question. Makati bars are really *so* much better than PP or NEP bars (although much more expensive) but I would *not* go to Manila for "sanuk". Coz I would not advice anybody to go to Manila. If at all, and if it's all about "sanuk" get yourself a 2000 pesos taxi straight to AC.

I'm on this board because I'm planning to settle in SE Asia. I don't even understand LG when he's mentioning the "sanuk" scene in S'pore and Malaysia. Or Phils. I like red light districts. In any any part of the world. I like the atmosphere, Red light districts attract a certain crowd perhaps a little different from a crowd talking about stocks and investments and career and tuition fees. But I've never ever been able to associate with characters like you and LG and some LOS Isarn BG fetish. You might as well develop a fetish for humping rubbish bags although rubbish bags may feel offended.

All the same, in other posts, I'm encouriging people to simply go and date for a multitude of reasons. The most obvious one would be the fact that in most parts of SE Asia, dating is actually much more rewarding than it is back home. And I'm talking from experience (THIS WOULD BE FIRST-HAND INFORMATION, unlike the info I supplied on the "sanuk" island two hours by ferry from S'pore).

No hard feelings but just a request: To you and LG. If you don't like my posts, that's ok. But if you start to portray me as somebody posting rubbish and if you start to question my integrity, I feel a little offended. Perhaps it's an age thing. Perhaps it's about how many years you've visited SE Asia. I think ten years ago I would have felt more comfy associating with your realm. And perhaps you and LG can appreciate I no longer do.

I've just refrained from calling the two of you silly ignorant little crittens and feel very good about showing so much compassion so I think I will go and pour myself a nice glass of vintage port. And perhaps ponder on the days when "Patpong Pa" was still actualy residing in Patpong. Before he went to Chiang Mai to sell burgers, or "units" as he would refer to it. And before he dicided to do things "all over" and lost the plot.

It's pretty staggering, the in-depth information you're capable of producing on SE Asia and life in general. I will never mingle again. And I wil not call you a "child". I will just stand awed and suck up your wisdom. There's Gogo bars in P and not in K. And they have different food. Do you think AOL's Steve Case actually knows about this ? Bizz plan for you: Call yourself Dr. Joker and start a website ...

I'm really sorry I allowed myself to "invade". It will not happen again.

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

I think I said that my own first visit to Jakarta wasn't too impressive but once someone pointed me in the right direction I soon learned to love the place.

...the scene I prefer there is a lot less mechanical and professional.

LG

I am headed to Jakarta tomorrow! I'm hoping my first visit isn't disappointing like your's was. I definitely am not interested patronizing brothels, the scene I'm looking for is much more like what you prefer. Any tips on where I might find someone to 'point me in the right direction'?

"clickonline",

All this blahblah about something you claimed yourself and did not substantiate (Pattaya same as Kuta), and you patronize us with a general lecture totally irrelevant to your very precise claim. The point is that if you think that "richer western men looking for drunkeness and paid sex from 3rd world fun spots" have all something in common, hard to deny it, but i hope you can get under the veneer and appreciate the many layers all these places can offer as this is where the numerous differences come to play.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote:

Originally posted by clickonline:

I was afraid of this answer. We're on different wave length. Not much point. No hard feelings either I hope. Will leave it to the "experts" to comment on "sanuk" in future. There's actually gogo bars in Pattaya ? And Thai food ? I must have been comparing heaven to hell! I feel humbled (gg).

Take care.

Click

I hardly know where to start here as I was gobsmacked by this post. Apart from not understanding some of it (yes, I know, the feeling was mutual!) and being offended by others, it just seemed so out of character. I generally find your posts interesting and entertaining and informative (when you are writing from personal experience!). I have noticed several references to the fact that you tend to write when you're drinking and I can only assume/hope that you were a bit further down the bottle when you wrote this.

I think people on this board have tried, and failed, to come up with an agreed definition of exactly what we mean by 'sanuk' so maybe that is the cause of some of our misunderstandings. Pattaya127 and I may have been stating the obvious in highlighting differences between Kuta and Pattaya but you have not even tried to explain why you think they are so similar. Many people come to this board to find information about places and things that are outside of their own experiences and I think it is extremely misleading to talk about the two places in the same breath. Yes, you can have a good time in either but it is likely to be a very different sort of good time and anyone who has been to one and enjoyed it and then travels to the other on the strength of the sort of comment you made is in for a rude awakening either way.

quote:

PS: Do you recon the 2 million Aussies visiting Bali during peak season are aware of how dismal Kuta compares to Pattaya ? Somebody ought to warn those poor bastards !

I don't think anybody said that Kuta was inferior, just completely different. I don't think those 2 million Aussies go to Kuta with an expectation that they will be able to shag as many Asian women as they like, which is probably the hope for many who travel to Pattaya. I think many of the Aussies go there to surf and swim and drink and party with their own kind but I am not an Aussie, don't surf and have only spent a couple of weeks in Kuta so I am only too happy to be corrected on that score.

quote:

Again, different things for different people. I still like Cuba very much and a lot of people consider it a hell hole. I've been working in Nigeria for a year. Did not enjoy it any African slapper will make you wonder what the hell you were thinking feeling sexually atracted to PP/NEP BGs. Except for some highly specialized stuff like soapies and BJ bars, Asia (*all* Asia) is hardly the place to go if you want to have great sex.

Your experiences of life and sanuk outside Asia are way beyond mine because I don't have any, other than 37 years in Europe, but I have lived in Asia, or more specifically Thailand, for over 8 years so I do feel that my opinions are based on a reasonable grasp of what goes on here. 'Great sex' is something else that we will never agree on a definition for but I will say that for me, and, I think, yourself, that it is never likely to arise from a short-time excursion, and not because it takes me long to finish!

quote:

The *original* question was about whether to embark on a trip to Jakarta for "sanuk". It was a mistake on my part to answer that and I regret it. Coz I lost my infatuation with BKK nightlife too. It was just stupid on my part to reply. I'm not on this board to comment on the "best" bar in Soi or NEP 'coz it's all a big blurr to me anyway.

But Jakarta is not part of Bangkok!? One of the reasons I like Jakarta is because I also lost my infatuation with BKK nightlife to a large extent, partly because much of it is off limits for me in terms of actually doing anything about it, whereas my little trips to Jakarta give me something approaching freedom

quote:

The original poster was wondering about whether to go to Jakarta or Cambodia. For what *ever* reason: That should *not* be a question. Makati bars are really *so* much better than PP or NEP bars (although much more expensive) but I would *not* go to Manila for "sanuk". Coz I would not advice anybody to go to Manila. If at all, and if it's all about "sanuk" get yourself a 2000 pesos taxi straight to AC.

Here you go from a comparison between Jakarta and Cambodia to a discussion of Bangkok v the PI - now can you see why I'm confused? The comment you made about Jakarta was totally dismissive and, I felt, unsubstantiated. For the person who was considering going I thought it was fair to offer a different view, based on my perception, from my experience, not that of people you have worked with for 2 years.

quote:

I'm on this board because I'm planning to settle in SE Asia. I don't even understand LG when he's mentioning the "sanuk" scene in S'pore and Malaysia. Or Phils. I like red light districts. In any any part of the world. I like the atmosphere, Red light districts attract a certain crowd perhaps a little different from a crowd talking about stocks and investments and career and tuition fees. But I've never ever been able to associate with characters like you and LG and some LOS Isarn BG fetish.

I was singing the praises of the women of Indonesia - what has that got to do with my liking girls from Issan? The comments I made about Singaporean and Malaysian sanuk-seekers were largely based on what I have read on Sammyboy's Delphi board. To me it seems that many of those guys are simply looking for somewhere to empty their sack in somebody's pussy or mouth, in their hand, on their tits or whatever. Comparing notes and details of individual girls - which is not something that you tend to find on this board or Nanapong - reduces everything down to a very mechanical level. I can understand that the repressive nature of Singaporean and Malaysian society may create a necessity for this but it is not what I am looking for. The constant procession of Malaysians to the brothels and massage parlours of Had Yai in search of relief seems to support my feelings. I have visited 'massage parlours' in Penang but really know nothing about KL or anywhere else.

quote:

You might as well develop a fetish for humping rubbish bags although rubbish bags may feel offended.

Thank you for those enlightened comments. I will pass on your kind regards to my wife!

quote:

All the same, in other posts, I'm encouriging people to simply go and date for a multitude of reasons. The most obvious one would be the fact that in most parts of SE Asia, dating is actually much more rewarding than it is back home. And I'm talking from experience (THIS WOULD BE FIRST-HAND INFORMATION, unlike the info I supplied on the "sanuk" island two hours by ferry from S'pore).

THAT is why I don't understand your dismissal of Jakarta. There are no go go bars that I know of and I have never been in a massage parlour of BJ bar there but I have been in several bars and discos which were full of beautiful freelancers who are VERY good at maintaining the illusion of the 'girlfriend experience' and from what I have seen in the upmarket discos there are a whole lot more 'straight girls' and many somewhere in between. I would have thought the place was perfect for 'dating'. You can flirt with 'normal' girls anywhere in Jakarta and get great responses. There are loads of students and office girls on the internet looking to meet up with foreigners. I do not think that that is why people go to Batam. Largely, they go there to fuck, just like they do in Geylang and Had Yai. And Pattaya. Though I know that many who go there hook up with one girl for extended periods and 'date' in that respect, I would think that the possibility of finding a genuinely 'non-working' girl to 'date' there is minimal. There is really very little reason for any girl to be there other than to fuck foreigners, apart from a minority employed in banks, shops and upmarket restaurants - perhaps. The fact is that the city has been entirely constructed around prostitution.

quote:

No hard feelings but just a request: To you and LG. If you don't like my posts, that's ok. But if you start to portray me as somebody posting rubbish and if you start to question my integrity, I feel a little offended.

As I've said, until this one I don't think I have read anything of yours that I disliked, but if you post misleading information about places you've never been then you should not be upset if someone corrects you.

quote:

Perhaps it's an age thing. Perhaps it's about how many years you've visited SE Asia. I think ten years ago I would have felt more comfy associating with your realm. And perhaps you and LG can appreciate I no longer do.

What is this realm that you feel uncomfortable in associating with? You said that you enjoy red-light districts. Welcome to Bangkok!

quote:

I've just refrained from calling the two of you silly ignorant little crittens and feel very good about showing so much compassion so I think I will go and pour myself a nice glass of vintage port.

Before you call someone a cretin, or even think about it, you should check the spelling (OK, I just shot myself in the foot if you meant to say 'critters')! You should also ask yourself it is a) fair and B) appropriate in this forum.

quote:

And perhaps ponder on the days when "Patpong Pa" was still actualy residing in Patpong. Before he went to Chiang Mai to sell burgers, or "units" as he would refer to it. And before he dicided to do things "all over" and lost the plot.

I have no idea about any of this but I'm not sure what it has to do with a thread about Jakarta anyway.

quote:

It's pretty staggering, the in-depth information you're capable of producing on SE Asia and life in general. I will never mingle again. And I wil not call you a "child". I will just stand awed and suck up your wisdom.

It is a struggle not to call you a 'child' with this kind of puerile comment. We are all here to share and to learn and we cannot do that if we don't mingle. I think you have much to share and hope that you continue to do so, preferably when you're sober (sorry if I'm being presumptuous there but it's the only explanation I can think of for some of what you wrote).

quote:

There's Gogo bars in P and not in K. And they have different food. Do you think AOL's Steve Case actually knows about this ? Bizz plan for you: Call yourself Dr. Joker and start a website ...

You set yourself up for this through the statement you made. Go back and read it for yourself and what I said at the start of this. It was grossly misleading.

quote:

I'm really sorry I allowed myself to "invade". It will not happen again.

See above.

LG

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

LG,

Sammy's board seems to be inhabited by young boys just excited to see they are growing pubic hair, and starting to understand what their big brothers were talking about for years. Also, being chinese and muslim, i would not expect them to have the highest respect for the fair sex. I always noticed how here, in US, you see so many "farang" guys with asian women, but hardly the contrary. I guess most women would not know what to do with guys getting off on pictures of fast cars and naked ladies, except take their $$, and i don't blame them. LOL

Is BKK worth a visit ?

After one month in JKT, back to BKK: what a change,unattractives and uneducated girls,unispired whores,pathetics gogo's dancers with bad attitudes and money oriented,so much unfriendly sex tourists,sad bars and discos where you only feel the energy of money, no communication in shopping mails,no smiles from non working girls....

Yes,what a change,surely JKT is not for everybody,the pure sex tourist or gogo lover should stick to other countries(please don't flame me,everybody makes his own choices).

JKT is a city of high energy discos, trendy cafes,and more and more places all over the city.Everywhere is tourist friendly,even the most fashion (Mana Lounge,Zanzibar,Cinna Bar),people are the niciest and friendliest on earth,mostly everybody speaks good english and the music is everywhere among the best i ever heard.

Best of the moment are surely Tiga Puluh in Meridien,CJ in Mulia,Retro in Crown Plaza on Wednesday and the all time JJ.

Bats is for rich 50's,Oscar for cheap 50's,Hard rock very down,and Tanamur full of drugged durty draggons.

Stadium,Millenium,Hai Lai and 1001,all north in Chinatown are huge techno discos,with also massge and private streap tease rooms,closing at 6am weekdays,24 hours on week ends.

This is a beautiful country,the niciest people and a crazy city.

Prosal

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Prosal

I posted elsewhere asking about the Barbados Cafe. As you seem to leave no stone unturned, have you ever visited/heard of this place? The source of my curiosity can be found at:

Enjoy the rest of your visit!

LG

Longun

Yes,you're wright,Barbados Cafe is in Kemang,which is not 45 minutes of JKT near Bogor (!),but 6 minutes taxi from block M.

For your next trip in JKT,Kemang is full of cafe and restaurants, best are Salsa Cafe,Champions,Barbados,News Cafe and others.

Very lively places,of course foreigners friendly,like anywhere in JKT,with mostly locals,the few farangs (bule) there have 90% chances to score !!

Apart from that,and to confirm what has been said here, in one month i've had horizontal relations with 7 non working girls, 8 'disco or cafe public relations chicks' (no money involved) and 5 JJ working girls (drunked,partying and not at all interested by money too).All were between 7 and 9's (at least in my eyes),spoke perfect english,were sex addicts and each was good enough to make a GF.I missed most of them and still in love with Sophia and Dina.

Selamat jalan to fellows sanukers going there

Be nice with them,they really deserve it.

Prosal

Archived