Windows XP does not shut down

thalenoi

I read what carlton68 stated and quite valid.

But did/does the original poster do all of what carlton68 has stated above? If so, should this not alleviate his problem?

If original poster did/does not, then what?

Short answer to why I turned off System Restore and recommend turning it off:

because System Restore uses up quite a lot space on the harddrive and - even more important - quite often fails to do its job when it is most needed.

That's of course only half of the story. To be prepared against data loss regular backups are mandatory. Preferably images stored on a second harddrive or DVD. With those images I can restore my system in almost any case. Most imaging programs allow browsing the image and restore single files as well. So System restore is more or less redundant. And the restore data will result in bigger images and longer processing time to create the image.

There's an advantage of system restore. Restore points are set whenever there is a change to the system, while the backup images usually follow a time schedule.

There's more to a good backup concept. Once this is in place System Restore is not needed at all. Without a backup concept System Restore only gives false hope.

Archived