Windows XP does not shut down

thalenoi

Since a few days turing off computer does not turn it off anymore, stays on a blue screen with windows logo. I have to cut power.

Last updates were a few days ago with this WGA thing which I refused to install and get reminded at start up every time. (updates are ready for your computer)

Any clues???

Thanks

Win XP Pro version 2002 service pack 2

Anti Virus is Mc Afee Virus scan Enterprise 8.0.i and up-to-date, will run a scan today.

Have ZoneAlarm also and problem with instaling latest upgrade zlsSetup 65_731_000_en gives message of some process that can not be stopped. :cussing:

System restore is off.

Saw on another thread of a program, WGAxxx.exe that cleans up the WGA crap. You might try tha program.

My HP lap top, at times, does not shutdown. For me, it seems to be related to some USB device.

When this happens and I have allowed enough time for the shutdown (5 minutes or so), I remove power (usually cuss the hell out of M$). So far, not scrambled files, not checkdisk at startup, so life is good!

There's a flag, a command in a file, not sure which one right now though, in the root directory, that correctly shuts down Windows to a Power Off state or any other of the possible states, just like you are experiencing...unless you can code, forget it and go to a decent shareware/freeware site such as www.snapfiles.com and pick up software in the tweaking section that amongst its options, and it will take a bit of looking and and bit of trying different programs until you find one that provides this particular tweak, turning your PC into a Power Off state at Shutdown.

Archived