Fiber To The Home in Thailand?

wonderlust

I'm in the process of relocating to Asia but for business reasons I need fibre-optic internet access. I know that Hong Kong has a 1 Gbps up/down Fiber To The Home (ftth) network and Japan and Korea both have 100 Mbps up/down ftth networks. The cost of these is between £20 and £40. Does Thailand have anything similar?

haven't heared anything about ftth in thailand.

those prices you mentioned look pretty interesting. but i guess you also need to pay for installation of a fiberoptic line. that's the expensive part of it. ADSL and VDSL go over conventional copper fix lines. VDSL in Korea also reach 100 Mbps

No, installation is cheap in Korea:

http://www.letskt.com/en/Product/Service_contents.jsp?mn=1130&scode=1130&sname=Megapass%20Ntopia

Just 30,000 won (£15) installation (or free if you wait) and 36,000 won a month subscription.

In Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Italy and Sweden most of the population can already get fibre to the home. Installation costs are not an issue. I suspect Thailand is going to be a long way behind.

Last year I was doing some work for a company in Japan that makes fiber patch cables, etc and they were looking to get into FTTH, big time!

They wanted to get into the EU and USA markets but their prices were way too high, go figure, Japan...dahhhh...

To date they haven't made it to the international market place but this FTTH is taking off. They had a convention for it in las Vegas last year? or the year before.

Most of the "backbone" is already fiber, just need the fiber run to the condos, etc from the street.

Much of the new construction is being built with FTTH in mind.

Thailand generally uses copper for hi-speed...4 meg is top whack in BKK...outside you can get 128k-2 meg depending on the area...or just plain old dial up....

Really, if you want hi speed net access, don't come to Thailand...the contention ratios are a joke, international bandwidth a total farce, customer service very poor....it's a money making scheme on the part of the companies, totally unregulated, zero service guarantee, you simply don't gtet what you pay for...TRUE being the worst!

Sure, if you have a lot to spend, you can get a dedicated line....but you will pay a lot! And thats for 2+meg.

Thailand, IT 'hub'? My toilet has faster, less congested pipes!

To show how deep the problems are, take Phuket the so called "IT Island" for example. The whole of Phuket recently upgraded its connection to, get this, a whopping 1 gigabit. Yep, the same speed found on the ethernet port of your everyday laptop. And on your laptop the speed is ok because you don't share the wire with hundreds of thousands of people! If they offered FTTH at 50mbps, just 20 islanders would completely saturate the entire islands bandwidth. Their solution will be the only thing they are good at: speed bumps that make FTTH perform more like a dialup modem.

They need to start thinking in orders of magnitude (10x 100x) speed improvements to have any chance of catching up to the rest of the world.

Archived