Traditional furniture?

Tasman

Dear All,

Just in the process of setting up a home in BKK area and would appreciate any ideas on where to purchase good quality wooden furniture of traditional designs. At the moment in SG where we live we have access to some pretty good furniture which is mainly Indonesian in origin. It is good and fairly cheap and some of this we will ship eventually but for now we will stay here.

We are looking for similar sorts of designs in BKK and just wondered if there are places that are known for this.

Many thanks.

Tas

There are many furniture shops on Sukhumvit but they mainly carry rosewood furniture. I've bought quite a few pieces at Ranee furniture at soi 39 and a few nice pieces at a store next to the Tai Pan Hotel on soi 23. Furniture is cheaper in the Chiang Mai region and should be cheaper than Bangkok, even after paying to ship the furniture to Bangkok. If you can wait, there is in January a sale in Bangkok of furniture made in Thai prisons. Its not the bargain that it was several years ago but the amount of furniture presented is a lot.

I have seen some places outside of Bangkok making furniture. At night time, they haul the shit into Bangkok. We bought a few pieces of furniture and found the prices a lot cheaper then Bangkok and in many cases comparable if not cheaper then Chiang Mai. The place we went to was north of the new airport which is info that is not helpful to anybody. If I had to, I could find the place again.

Hard part about finding these places is you generally have to ask some Thais for help which means expending money which could go to buying product. Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

There are a few shops near the MRT stop near Chatuchak market. Hmmm, here are some of my famous crappyu directions, which might actually work...take the sky train to Mochit, walk along the road, keeping JJ Market on the right, make a right at the first main road, again keeping JJ on your right, keep walking, you will see some shops with furniture in them, bothe sides of the road.

Lumphong/Chaing Mai area woiuld be cheaper. Example of the stuff available in the JJ shop, 7 piece dinning table, teak, carved (table+6 chairs) shipped to the USA was less than $2500usd. Coffee tables, hand carved shipped to USA was around $250-300. This was maybe 3 years back.

Thanks to all for ideas. We will be up at the end of this month or early next to get some paperwork sorted so we will have a recce then. I will let you all know what we find.....

To be honest, for the quality and the fact that the prices are not that bad in SG we may even buy more here and ship it up - its just the hassle of doing it.

Cheers,

Tas.

Archived