Farewell Burma Girl

bust

Burma girl had proceeds on her person so she was in on it and is guilty. A pro bono lawyer can do absolutely nothing for her so don't waste time with that. Seems to me only way she is getting out is if someone comes up with some serious baht.

As far as your status in the kingdom, I would think a lawyer you hire can bail her out without revealing his client. You would have to be able to kiss the money goodbye since she will not show up for court. And your girl will always be watching her back; and will never get a passport to leave thailand for the rest of her life. Still, anything is better than rotting in jail. I would think a girl with her low status will not enjoy her treatment from guards and fellow prisoners.

The other option of course is to pay even bigger money to get the victim to drop charges, then continue working on getting her ID.

Big question: How far is a man willing to go to help a girl like this? I had a thai girl once who was in trouble and i thought i would do anything to get her out if she had been caught. Fortunately she never was caught so i never had to face the question.

Sorry Bust, it's time to move on mate, older, wiser and certainly a lot sadder. I was never sure what your plans were for this girl, I don't always read the 'relationships' board as the posts tend to get a bit repetative so I may have missed something, but nothing can save her now. Would you drop the charges in her employer's position?

Monitering her imprisonment may be an option, a few baht a week will make life easier for her but then you have to consider her and your options when she gets out.

They will possibly be some people from from her country of origin there to lend support,I think you said in an earlier post she speaks Nepalese, a language not spoken outside of Nepal by many people. Is there any help available from that embassy?

You could get her out of this. For sure. 100%.

The problem is that it is going to cost you a LOT of money. The more guilty she is - or appears - the more it will cost.

Forget a lawyer.

The only thing that will fix this is money and it would be many times the value of what was stolen.

None of the groups that help Burmese refugees will help with this.

Julian2

I did not realise that she was of Nepalese ancestry.

Gurkhas were used in huge numbers by the various colonial armies the UK raised for World War II. At the end of the war many of these regiments were just disbanded where they were.

All over Myanmar there are small pockets where ethnic Nepalese live - the majority are Gurung speaking. The best troops in the Indian Army tend to be Gurung speaking Gurkhas as well.

The integrity, courage and all that is probably why the girl was hired as a servant in the first place- the family did not want to have to worry about theft and exactly the kind of shit that appears to have happened.

Some in Myanmar descended from Gurkha families can actually have Indian, Nepalese or Myanamar passports. Very few do as it takes time and money. If she does not have the passport now I doubt that any embassy would want to get involved at this point.

Second that, Shygye. UNHCR will not interfere with the operation of national criminal processes, and the current arrangements in Thailand regarding Burmese basically don't permit any engagement at all. The woman is not of concern to UNHCR at present, and there's no way they will recognise her as a refugee during these procedures. Same with Amnesty - there doesn't seem to be a human rights violation here. Pro bono lawyers - is there such a thing in Thailand? Thai Law Society might have some idea about these cases, but they'll be dubious of the whole scenario - a beautiful Nepali-Burmese illegal alien criminal and her farang sponsor... The lawyer who can help is the one who knows who to pay in the police and judiciary.

If the worry is about return to Myanmar, that can be avoided for a lot less money than criminal charges. Once she has served her time (and is Burma Old Lady...) they'll transfer her to Immigration Detention Center, and for a fee she can - most likely - arrange to be dropped off near the border in a relatively safe place, rather than be handed over to the authorities.

YimSiam

Yes I too have many unanswered questions. The reason I mention Amnesty and UNHCR is more about Human Rights issues not legal ones. If most of us get in trouble we have our consulate to make sure we are not mistreated or our best interested are taken care of. In her case there is nobody as she has no identity. No passort no Burmese Identity Card nothing. So very easy for her to disappear. That is my real concern. She is guilty of being stupid and also assisting in the theft but I just want to make sure she does not disappear like so many others have in the past. And I have moved on.......did I mention the farmers daughter :sex:

• 1 month later...

Not much to say to that.........

At best she was stupid and gullible / decided that this WAS her best opportunity...........the disturbing thing was that she may have been right :(

A real shame, but now more than time to move on - some peoples problems just cannot be solved, unlike perhaps what we assume / would like - especially in the West??

Archived