Farewell Burma Girl

bust

My sweet little friend who bought me so much happiness over the last 18 months is currently awaiting sentencing for something that I still don't think she relizes she was set up for. Yes she did the wrong thing but I really don't think she was aware of how she was going to be the sacrificial lamb if things went bad.....which they did. After that she will be handed over to the Burmese Military as the victim, a Dubai base Indian gentleman intends on exercising his right to have her charged under Burmese law once she has finished her sentence in Thailand. As she is stateless I am not sure how this is possible. As her family resides in Burma I am still looking into whether this is all allowed but at a guess I would say it is based on what I have been told. To those of you who PM'ed me over the last year or so with advice support and encouragement as I tried to get her an identity thanks. I am currently trying to see if the UNHCR can assist. My concerns are she has some legal representation when she goes to court. She doesn't read a word of Thai but has signed a statement. As she was eligable for assistance under the Special Humanitarian Program as a person at risk I am hoping they may come to the party and at least look in on her. Any suggestions from board members are welcome. I will try and keep track of her but I know it will be difficult based on the efforts I had to go to just to get a visit. I will miss her indeed.

Bust 1,

Your post is confusing since you say nothing about what she did or what the accusation is. I assume the indian gentleman was scammed and wants "justice".

Anyway, our wayward honeys are always getting themselves in trouble. Since she is in a thai jail, now is your best chance of getting something done (unless you think you have some connection in Burma to help once she gets there).

There are lawyers (i don't know any personally) who might get her released. Would cost a significant amount and you yourself might become the victim of a scam. Hope you know somebody who knows somebody. And be careful about paying up front good luck.

Here in the US I bailed a thai girl out of jail. Contrary to expectations she did not seem very appreciative. I know a girl who was bought out of jail in LOS and the girl immediately dumped the guy who paid big money to get her out. If you invest a ton of money and get her out expecting that she will forever be your girl you may be in for a surprise. Never can tell what is in a girl's mind.

Side note: If the indian guy is the victim, he may be the key to getting charges dropped.

Here's what happened. She has for the last couple

of years worked as a house servent or live in nanny. Recently she got a phone call from an aunt (which could mean an acquaintance) that there was a job available with a family in Thong Lo. She was given the phone number had an interview and started the following day. 2 hours into the job the aunt rings to tell her she is on her way over. Once there there is a cabinet broken into an jewellery and cash to the value of 1.9m baht is taken. Now as she had just started the job she was the first suspect. She took off to Poi Pet where she was arrested 4 days later. Apparently what Burma Girl didn't know was that the aunt had been doing the job for some time and quit after finding out where the valuables were kept. She took off scared and the aunt informed the Police of her whereabouts. The Indian guy was willing to drop the charges if all was returned but as she only had some of the proceeds he is not willing to do this unless everything is returned which now could be spread from BKK to Khon Kaen. She tells me she returned everything she had except for the cash she had spent. Bail was set at 250,000 baht but I was never going to pay it. All I would do is sacrifice my status in LOS. She would not return to court and it would be claimed that I assisted her in her flight resulting in me not being allowed entry into the Kingdom again. Burmese Consulate will not help as she officially is not a registered citizen. So I guess my only hope is the UNHCR or yes maybe Amnesty. Or anyone out there who knows a good lawyer willing to do a good deed pro bono.

...2 hours into the job the aunt rings to tell her she is on her way over. Once there there is a cabinet broken into an jewellery and cash to the value of 1.9m baht is taken...

...she only had some of the proceeds he is not willing to do this unless everything is returned which now could be spread from BKK to Khon Kaen. She tells me she returned everything she had except for the cash she had spent....

Aunt comes and cabinet broken into, was Burma girl not aware of this? Complicit.

Which "she" has some of the proceeds? Burma girl? If so, she is certainly complicit.

If I was on the jury, my vote is "guilty" (although other evidence might change that). She may be "guilty while stupid" or "guilty while scamming", but, either way, guilty.

If the story is true , then the "aunt" is lying,

it took her 3 years to find the loot !

She had to know where it was in the first week or so she worked there

Burma girl may be harmless in this storry , but there is no way to prove it.....

Are you trying to get her out of jail ? if so it does not look good ,

or are you trying to get her from being sent back to Burma after she does her time ?

OC

This does not sound like a case Amnesty or UNHCR would touch with a 10 foot pole. This is theft and she was caught with 100s of thousands baht of stolen items. This is not a violation of human rights.

Unfortunately, only big baht could get her a short sentence or off.

Archived