are immigration officials flerxible?

dean

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about that. I flew NWA last Dec. 31 and had a return of March 20 and didn't have any problems. I'll do a printout of the e-ticket to show immigration, if they want to see evidence of a return ticket. I do have other problems, however. While reading flyertalk.com last night, I saw where a judge is allowing NWA FA to strike anytime after 12:00 August 25. I leave August 26. The last time they were on strike, it didn't affect the Asian routes and I hope that the same is true this time.

I almost always fly Northwest Airlines to Bangkok, so I arrive sometime between 23:00 and after midnight. The couple of times I've arrived about midnight and gone through immigration about 12:20-12:30, they still gave me a 30 day visa which started the day before. That was never a problem until now. I leave for Bangkok on August 26 and arrive late on the 27th. I leave Bangkok on October 26, which is 61 days after my arrival. If I wait until after midnight to pass through immigration, can I get the official to give me a 30 day visa, starting August. 28? If not, I have to do 2 visa runs instead of one or go to the airport and ask for a 10 day extention or pay the 500 baht fine (which I doubt if I would take the chance, even though I leave on October 26 at 6:00 A.M.). Any suggestions?

In Thailand, the date changes at 6 AM, not at midnight like in the west (as you may know, the traditional Thai watch is 4x6h, not 2x12h like in the west). This is why the official gave you a stamp indicating the previous date, because for him it actually still was the previous date. So if you exit passport control before 6 AM you should be ok. In any case, you will not be fined for overstaying less than 24 h, I can tell you from personal experience. On my last trip, my flight was on the 31st day of my visa, so I didn't bother with the visa extension (the visa extension is 1900 Baht, and the fine is only 500 Baht/day). So I expected a 500 Baht fine at the airport, but instead just got a stamp in my passport, stating that I had overstayed less than 24 h. No big deal...

In Thailand, the date changes at 6 AM

Really? My normal flight arrives so early that I sometimes get my arrival stamp before 6 am sometimes later and always get the date according to western style.

Midnight the date change IMO, but if the following day is a holiday that day starts 6 pm the evening before - compare with the sabbath.

First day of overstay there's no overstay charge for but you get the overstay stamp anyhow and that might give you problem in future.

In Thailand, the date changes at 6 AM

Really? My normal flight arrives so early that I sometimes get my arrival stamp before 6 am sometimes later and always get the date according to western style.

Midnight the date change IMO, but if the following day is a holiday that day starts 6 pm the evening before - compare with the sabbath.

First day of overstay there's no overstay charge for but you get the overstay stamp anyhow and that might give you problem in future.

I had a discussion with a Thai friend a few months ago regarding what time the date changes. She kept insisting that in Thailand the date changes at 6 AM, as opposed to in the west where it changes at midnight as I would have it. In the end she had me convinced, but she may have been wrong, in which case I stand corrected. In any case, the officals at the airport may use international standards...

NWA flights leave at 6:oo A.M., so I usually go through immigration around 4:00-4:30 A.M. I'm not overly concerned about being picked up by the police. Usually on my last night, I go out until around 10-11:00 and go back to hotel try to get 3-4 hours of rest and go to airport at 3:00 A.M. (at least at 3:00, I won't face any traffic problems). The only time that I face risk on the 31st day is when I take the taxi to the airport. However, in the next year, I'll be applying for a retirement visa and I don't know how an overstay notation on my passport will affect that process.

Archived