Coin Shop in BKK?

nordicman

I did buy some stamps from this shop a few years back, its not called the World Trade Centre any more, (can someone help with the new name :dunno: ) but it should still be there

Siam Stamp Trading Co Ltd, World Trade Centre, Rajadamri Rd, Bangkok(02) 255-9599 or (02) 234-1376 . ...

There are several stamp shops around the general (main) post office, on Charoen Krung Road. It's all within walking distance, north of the Saphan Taksin Skytrain station, past the Oriental Hotel. The GPO has a philatelic section & museum.

There is a swap meet outside the GPO every Sunday, with at least a dozen dealers. Some of the dealers have phonecards, too.

Along this route, years ago, you could have still seen the tram rails embedded in the street, decades after these vehicles had gone.

Afterwards, you could continue walking north, to the Hua Lamphong train station. Once you get to the old bridge, and walk along the east bank of the klong, you'll see some really interesting old houses and buildings. At the station, you can buy a dirt cheap platform pass, and check out all the trains, plus gardens that each department has at the end of the various tracks.

There are railway information booths, providing English language assistance, and the Skytrain station in the basement has several photo displays of old and new railway projects, including trams, and a great photo of a very young HM, riding a scale train in the palace gardens.

There used to be a few at the old world trade centre, but now it has been remodelled I haven't been back there to see what's there.

There are a lot of traders at Chatuchak market, near the exit close to Mo Chit. They deal mostly in Thai coins etc, and you would really have to know you shit I would think.

The "Galeria" on Sathorn also has some shops specializing in old stuff, but heavily marked up.

On the river front was a building full of antiques, I haven't been there for years but hear it is still operating.

DOG

adawes ,

nicely written . Charoen Krung ( New Road ) has actually been the first road in Bankok with a hard surface . If you turn to the river left of the main post office you will run into the old customs house which in 2 or 3 years will be the first Aman Resorts urban outlet . In this case an advantage because otherwise it might collapse in a few years .

BuBi

Hi, one of my hobbies is collecting bank notes so have travelled and searced around for good outlets.I'm not sure what specifically you are looking for but as already stated, there is a cluster of shops around Charoenkrung Road, none have any websites, one shop I've frequented is 'Hobby'. They can be contacted via email on hobby_stamp@hotmail.com

There is also a very good coin shop, directly opposite the Bank of Thailand.

Lots of the shops near the grand palace have odd selections of coins & stamps but the mark up prices for tourists are high.

Inside the grand palace the royal treasury has a shop and display,they sell very good selections of new coins as cheap as is available anywhere.

Theres a dealer up on the 4th floor in the shopping centre nr Ramkhamaeng Univ.

Theres a few dealers at Chattuchak but I've found the best deals with the street sellers between saphan Kwai and Mo Chit.

For stamps its well worth joining the Thai Philatelic Society and if your lucky enough to be in BKK when they have one of their regular auctions could get yourself a very good deal.

Let me know if theres anything more specific you wanted to know.

Regards

JP

• 2 weeks later...

[color:brown]

...[snip]...continue walking north, to the Hua Lamphong train station. Once you get to the old bridge, and walk along the east bank of the klong, you'll see some really interesting old houses and buildings. At the station, you can buy a dirt cheap platform pass, and check out all the trains, plus gardens that each department has at the end of the various tracks.
[/color]

Fascinating observations from Adawes.

I didn't know that, although I've departed and arrived by train at Hua Lamphong.

Where can one get more information, map, a guide to the area?

[color:brown]

...[snip]...the Skytrain station in the basement has several photo displays of old and new railway projects, including trams, and a great photo of a very young HM, riding a scale train in the palace gardens.
[/color]

Excellent recommendation.

I agree, it is a delightful display that stretches along the long corridor from the subway station to the train station.

But each time I've passed thru, I've been on the way to make a train, and couldn't relax to study the photos and read the captions .

Someday it would be worthwhile going there for an hour or so just to view those photos.

But best to make it on a cool day: the air-con in that corridor doesn't seem to work very well, and it gets stuffy.

Adawes, do you ever think about guiding a small group to places off the beaten path like these you've mentioned here?

Archived