Motorbikes, scooters??

drogon

IDL is just a tranalation of your driver's license so it must be used with your DL. So if you've a driver's license for motorbikes no problem, but I think that most policemen will accept anything as they don't understand too much.

I carry about 300 baht in mixed notes [wrapped in a 100] instead of a license.

I will eventually get a license, but understand this: DO NOT let the coppers see your cash. 9 times out of 10 they will let you pay a on the spot 'fine' and leave. If you only have 240 odd baht you win...

If you pull out your passport, drivers license, etc, they are gonna take it write a ticket and tell you to post by the police station to pay fine and pick up.

Play dumb, maintain english, wave the 300 baht.....

If you get caught in a police raid with several cops around, there is no way you are getting away with that.

The will take away your keys, write you a ticket and tell you to go to the police station to clear it out.

On the bright side, there will be an entire herd of motorbike taxis waiting to take you there. The service level in Los is second to none :)

cheers

hua nguu

You do need a thai bike license but non of the kids in the village i know have one.

You wont have a problem if stopped, HOWEVER there is one BIG problem you may be overlooking, what happens if you get into a accident and need insurance. Not arguing about who is in right or wrong, just arguing about YOU being covered if riding illegally.

Getting a bike license is very easy here, take about 4 hours at the Mo CHit place, they even have bikes you can hire or BYO.

DOG

Anyone have a real experience of an auto/motor sai accident in LOS?

Not me, and I hope never!

I have seen accidents in Taiwan...they are completely insane, a pin head size scratch and the Taiwanese went ballastic...had to be there to see it! $$$ is all they want and shouting, pushing, whatever to intimidate, they use it all!

Funny one...my customer crashed into the rear of some auto, he was clearly at fault...well not in Taiwan.. Since he was wealthy and powerful, the court ruled the person in front of him "stopped too fast", thus the person stopping was at fault????

...and think Thailand is screwy???

Archived