Sunday Brunch

TheHamburger

Just got back from the Sunday Brunch at the Sheraton on Sukhumvit.

Absolutley magic!

Some of the best food I have eaten in Thailand and it was a buffet!

There was a nice jazz band playing in the background and the furnishings were excellent.

I think it cost about 1,200B 1,800 with the plonk.

Good value.

Any body with recomendations for other Hotels / Resteraunts?

I think it will become a regular sunday thing!

The Hamburger

Hippie,

We were in a party of 3.

It was 1,200 each and we had a 1,800 bottle of wine split 3 ways.

What do you mean higher items?

If your talking about the more expensive items.

Roast beef , Turkey , Lamb chops, Poached Salmon, Smoked salmon , Rock lobster , Prawns , Smoked Mackerel + snapper , Mussels , Various cold cuts , a huge cheese selection , a mountain of strawberries , and more sweats than you could shake a stick at, I didn't bother with the pasta selection or the Thai selsction or the Sushi Sashimi section.

The Hamburger

The Hamburger--

I love the Sunday buffet at Lord Jim's at the Oriental Hotel.. Price? I recall it's roughly US$20 to US$25 per person with tip.

Excelllent assortment of meats, seafood, thai foods, sushi section and of course deserts.. ohhhh!

Service is perfect in every imaginable way and the view of the river (even though it's brown) is nice too.

Highly recommended!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Sounds a bit on the cheap side forthe Oriental.

I have heard that the Sukothai is good , Le Meridien , the Hyatt andd JW Marriot.

I will be trying them all in the next few months and will report back.

If any body else tries theese or others let us know what they are like.

What an usual series of trip reports we could create.

Reports for fat bastards!!!!!!!!

The Hamburger

All-

The Sukothai is another excellent option for Sunday brunch.. I'd make reservations, as getting a table for a resonable hour is difficult.. This hotel (IMHO) is classic-thai.. Not really ultra-modern, but classic style.. Very beautiful hotel grounds.. Service was exemplary.

The food was more noticeably more thai than western, but had ample options for all.. One interesting thing that I noticed (think it was on the menu..) they can prepare special diet meals (gluten-free, low sodium, etc.) for you if arranged in advance.

Cost.. was about US$30 p.p.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Some interesting comments and recommendations on buffets here in the LOS. Thanks, guys.

It's funny, when I'm here I almost never go to buffets (the main exception being those at Warbler's). However, when I am back in the US I find myself often going to buffets like the Old Country Buffet and the plethora of Chinese buffets that have sprung up on the East Coast.

One commonplace sight in these places (in the US) is a herd of very large wide load people. Obviously, those places cater to the big eaters.

Do you see the same thing at these buffet fill-ups here in Thailand? I would guess most of the customers are farang rather than Thai. I don't know, I just haven't taken out many Thai people (mostly ladies) who are into buffets. Do you think this is changing?

Sarisin,

I've just got back into this Sunday Brunch gig again after a few years break.

The patrons seem to be a fairly even split between Farangs and well heeled Thais.

I would guess that seeing as these things are always in Hotels then the Farangs are split about 50/50 hotel guests and Expats.

Certainly last Sunday I recognized alot of expats in the crowd. One of them being about the largest expats in BKK (with a construction background).

After Iv'e just typed all that I've just realized what a load of bollocks it is!

If you goto a hotel that isn't charging $100 a night you get a completely demographic of people. Take the Apex hotel in Pattaya as an example, I have only seen guests (and guests of guests) eating that buffet even though it is very cheap!

The Hamburger

For non-hotel options for brunch, Crepes & Co on Sukhumvit Soi 12 has got great eggs, bacon, pancakes, coffee, croissants, fruits, juices, and cereals, (all to order, no buffet) in a relaxing atmosphere. 300 baht for more than you can finish.

Archived