taking the kids BACK to LOS from farangland

MikeN

I've spoken to a few people who have brought the kids to farangland, so I'm pretty clued up on the difficulties settling into a new school system etc, but has anyone got any thoughts on taking a Thai kid back to LOS after living in farangland, Australia in particular, for a few years ?

How would they go getting back into the school system, or what job/further education opportunities are available with farang school leaving certificates ?

I'm pretty certain I've met the right lady, the complication comes with her 13yo daughter's education and future. I won't be in a situation to retire to Thailand for a few years, I'm certainly not going to suggest leaving daughter in Thailand while we live in Oz. so if daughter comes to australia for a few years how will she fare when we do move back to thailand (assuming she wants to go back?)

Mike,

IMHO it will only benefit her since she'll receive superior education that she would get in Thailand, unlerss she'd be visiting privat schools, which I assume to be unlikely.

You also pointed already out; assuming she wants to go back. Very good point...........

Good luck to you and your future family!

I think once you hit the last years of school, it should be done in the best possible circumstances, IF she is academically inclined.

Sending her to Boarding school/family to finish in Australia would give her a huge advantage over others in the job maket back in Thailand.

Plus being a naturalised/perm res Australian, she would get a lot of this education at a fraction of what it normally costs a thai person.

Help her out and keep her in Aus till she's finished her academic life.

DOG

yes, I was thinking it would be best to stay here in Australia until she has finished school, but what then ? The daughter is middle of the class academically, as far as I can gather, so I cannot see her doing uni here. It would be wrong to try and push her into something she did n't want, but I was thinking maybe encourage her into some field that is transfereable to Thailand, and where her english language skills from living here would be handy in Thailand, such as tourism, hospitality or ??

I have read somewhere that if they come before the age of 11 they will not have any problems following a normal class. Don't know how easy it would be for a 13 year old. Ofcourse Australia speak English wich makes it a lot easier.

We are currently in the process of 'adopting' a family member and trying to bring him over, he is 11 now, but will be about the same age as your stepdaughter when everyting possibly is in order, and I must say I am worried about how he would cope with comming here. It's hard enough for an adult. He is alsy quite shy, the last time we visited Thailand he spoke about one word of English to me, and ofcourse it was horribly wrong (thinking 50 bath was fiftheen in English, not that I corrected him though).

May not matter too much about her academic level as children pick up things like english quite qickly. Would be a huge change for her though, IMO you would'nt want to leave it too much later than 13. Some of the best things in life come at a price so in the short term it would be dificult but even if she did'nt become overly educated she would still be streets ahead one day if she took up life back in Thailand.

Chok Dii.

Archived