Things NOT to do with chillies #17.

Chanchao

Besides the obvious things like "don't touch your willy after handling chillies", here's another one.

As I'm still residing in that culinary Sahara otherwise known as the United States, I embarked on making that all time favorite Northern dish of Nam Phrik Noom (Green chilly dip).

The local Giant's had loads of chilies to choose from, including the long green Phrik Noom. No problems there. Also an onion and garlic were easy to find. No luck with the Nam Pla (fish sauce) though. Bought a light soy sauce instead as well as some non-descript fish. Funny how all the fish here looks alike without heads & bones. Come to think of it, all the food looks alike after it's been battered and fried.

Now to make this dip, you have to roast and blacken the chillies and garlic and onion on coals or under a flame in the oven. Then you have to discard most of the outer, blackened skin of the chillies and pount everything in a mortar. Here comes the mistake: DON'T peel the chillies with your bare hands. Use a glove or plastic bag to handle the chillies. I didn't notice at first, but the result was hours of burning in my fingers, really as if I had burnt them on a flame. My fingers actually turned a little black at first, which disappeared after holding an ice cube for 2 hours. Now the next morning it's still not back to normal.. Looking at my fingers you's say I'm chopping down trees for a living instead of designing brilliant software. :-(

Anyway, everything turned out way, WAY too hot. Perhaps I didn't bake them long enough, perhaps they were just the wrong kind. I suppose I could pound in some microwaved squash or eggplant in the dip. As it is, I've created the chilly paste from HELL. Just a teaspoon used to fry with shrimps, garlic and ginger made the air unbreathable! Cool!! After the air cleared up I actually had a pretty good fiery Thai style dish, even without the fish sauce!

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

As I'm still residing in that culinary Sahara otherwise known as the United States, I embarked on making that all time favorite Northern dish of Nam Phrik Noom (Green chilly dip).

The local Giant's had loads of chilies to choose from, including the long green Phrik Noom. No problems there. Also an onion and garlic were easy to find. No luck with the Nam Pla (fish sauce) though.... After the air cleared up I actually had a pretty good fiery Thai style dish, even without the fish sauce!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Where the hell do you live? Culinary Sahara? I can get damned near anything around here! Not sure where you reside, but my advice is Move quick! smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Chanchao:

I must take umbrage with your dismissal of the good ol' US of A as a culinary Sahara. This is the home of McDonalds, the #1 US export. laugh.gif" border="0

Where abouts do you reside? There are some pretty dreary spots, that's for sure. Around here, though, it's a minor challenge to find an eatery WITHOUT Nam Pla, or its equivalent, on the table with the condiments.

Actually, your creation sounds quite good. Send me a sample! smile.gif" border="0

PhordPhan

I have three comments:

1) Yum!

2) Chilies vary from crate to crate in their hotness. Next time, you may not be so lucky with getting some good fire.

3) Actually, I kind of like the hot stinging feeling on my willy. This effect is VERY much intensified when lube is used. Try jerking off with your dry hand, after handling chilies; and, then try it with a little KY Jelly, Aqua Lube, or even diluted hand cream. Yow! That's the ticket. cool.gif" border="0

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

I like to shove a few up my "poop chute" while doing what you describe.

Definately an experience not soon forgotten...

-=/NN

quote:

Originally posted by vtombrown:

I have three comments:

1) Yum!

2) Chilies vary from crate to crate in their hotness. Next time, you may not be so lucky with getting some good fire.

3) Actually, I kind of like the hot stinging feeling on my willy. This effect is VERY much intensified when lube is used. Try jerking off with your dry hand, after handling chilies; and, then try it with a little KY Jelly, Aqua Lube, or even diluted hand cream. Yow! That's the ticket.
cool.gif" border="0

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

Archived