sawng sahn

gawguy

I thought I understood "sawng sahn" which means to pity or feel sorry for someone.

I was talking with my long-term lady the other day who lives in BKK with sister's family until I come to town, then she comes to Pattaya, gets a room and I see her every few days. I said to her, "When you come to Pattaya you tell your family that you come to work, right?" Meaning that she comes to work for this farang. She said, "I tell them I 'sawng sahn' you."

Okay...she certainly doesn't pity me. I'm just fine in every way. I've heard it used in the context of a woman sleeping with a man before, but that can't quite be it either I don't think. Here it seems to mean "I see someone that has a need and I want help them" so she is telling her family that she has a farang who needs her and she's going off to help him?

GG

Hi Gawguy,

Your understanding of that phrase is absolutely correct.

If it does indeed carry another connotation besides from: "take a pity on or having compassion for someone" I for one is not familiar with that.

I think that CW`s interpretation is quite right. :up:

Being thousands of miles from home, mayby not having any friends around can definitely call for compassion in a thai`s mind :)

cheers

hn

Archived