Karen get Thai "human zoo" treatment

soiarrai

Why is there no respect for a huge refugee problem in thailand, instead the Thai government just see a way to boost their coffers and hide it behind a smile.

"Thai people, I'm sorry to say, are insensitive to their minorities, and the hill-tribe minorities have always been a money attraction," Senator Kraisak Choonhavan told Reuters.

Read news item

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Already, busloads of foreigners on "eco-tourism" trips pile into the remote villages every day to pose beside the Padaung "giraffe women", so-called for their elongated necks propped up on layers of brass coils."

It's been going on for years. The women are trucked in from Burma for the show. Big money maker for the Padaung (from Ka-Kaung, 'people who live on the hilltops') and the tourist guides.

Sure lots of minorities are exploited in other countries, granted. But to actually turn an ancient tribe into a tourist attraction is a different story, this is purely insensitive behaviour and should be ended.

Perhaps we should stop turning a blind eye to the bigger picture which is the atrocities committed in Burma toward this tribe and which have led to this situation.

Other refugees, that result from conflicts in the world are given political asylum in the west or by westernised nations and then integrated into our societies, which in turn actually helps them and their adopted country's economy.

These people and their culture should be protected and not turned into some circus for peoples enjoyment. We should understand why they are there and try to do what we can to show our disdane with how they are used.

Yes, I might make that arguement. American Indians here are exploited the same way, yet it is often times the best/only way to make a decent living. Tibet would have been wiped off the map if China couldn't exploit them for tourist dollars...so in a sad way, it does help them. In the case of the Karen, it might help to call attention to their plight.

But what of these girls when they sit there watching MTV and other western ideas on TV then wander why they can never be the same as us or do the things they really want, now that they have been corrupted. Is this preserving their culture?

These people have sadness in their eyes not happiness, they are still imprisoned and not allowed to leave their compounds for one way of putting it.

Following people down the street with camcorders is just bloody rude in my opinion. Not just in Luang Prabang. I couldn't believe the busloads of people waiting for the monks to come out of the temples and the barrage of flash lights. But hey that's show business.

Yes it's sad that the girls can't sit in their quaint villages and winnow rice anymore but that's the world we live in. No doubt the money they get for posing gets turned into motorbykes and cellphones and TVs too. I bet the boyfriends, brothers and husbands aren't complaining. If the girls weren't doing the brass coil business they'd probably be in bars in Chiang Mai.

The only argument I could see against this kind of business would be if the girls were forced to wear the coils and dragged to the phony 'ethnic villages' so grinning idiots can take pictures.

As regards not being able to leave...they probably go on some kind of contract basis. I've heard they have work permits.

Archived