good cheap restaurants

Pablo666

O,k, seriously now! If you are in the Sukhumvit area, then go to Soi 2 Sukhumvut to Ploenchit center, Go to the top floor, buy a fewcoupons and have a ball! Lunch should cost a $ 1.00 or so, 45 bht. then return any unused food coupons for a refund. Almost any mall/ shopping center has a food court like this. As for street food, well the basic rules apply, cook it, peel it or forget it! That said, you should have no trouble finding something to eat on the cheap! Also, if you need them, I can PM you some other recomendations for larger fare...

If it's Thai food then a walk around will do ya. I did find an Outback Steakhouse and a Tony Roma's which were pretty good. The Tony Roma's is on Sukhumvit. Cross the street at Majestic Suites, then walk up towards Soi 7 and you'll see it on the left. The Outback was in Siam Center.

Smitty

• 2 weeks later...

I like the "khao soi," which is a Burmese noodle soup, at Noodle House in Siam Square. It's just about on the corner of Rama I and Phaya Thai roads, directly across the street from Au Bon Pain in Siam Discovery Center and quite near the Scala Theater. The place is air-con, one bowl of that is usually plenty, and it's cheap (about 45 baht, I think, maybe 40?) and delicious. There's a second location deep inside of Siam Square, but this one is the easiest to find. Used to be other locations throughout the city, but at least some shut down, I know.

Khao soi can also be found on Sukhumvit soi 22, there is a restaurant about 150 yards down the street on the left hand side (very small entrance door). It's opposite the beer garden. It's the best khao soi I've ever tasted (65 baht). There is also plenty of northern food which brings me to the question: Is Khao soi really a Burmese noodle soup or is it a Northern Thai dish?

(Sukhumvit) Soi 7 food court makes an excellent choice, expecially as a sort of warm up for an evenings activities. Several small food stands and fun atmosphere.

Archived