shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Old Hippie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was chatting on Sunday and this young man mentioned to me that he just got his O-retirement visa and was able to show the equivqlent of 800,000 Baht in his USA bank account, not a bank account in Thailand, not a Thai baht account.

He also had a letter from the US Embassy certifying that he did have the funds in the US bank account.

This puts a new light on things, as you do not have to lose with the Baht being so strong at this time (and the dollar weak).

I think he did this thru the Denver Thai Honorary Consulate.

This is the way to go if your friend requested an O-A retirement visa in his home country.

When requesting a retirement extension one year later in LOS he will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank account or a certificate of retirement income from his embassy or a combination, in case of retirement certificate he will need to show some spendings from a Thai bank account. That's what I do, renewal next month...we will see thias time around.

p.s. I've been told one can get a sworn statement from the US Embassy that one has sufficient pension or other funds coming into Thailand and get a retirement visa that way. The embassy more or less takes your word for it.

Not the Belgian embassy, they need proof of retirement income before issuing such certificate.

Cavanami, as I said before, the rules vary bank to bank, forget what the web site says, try Bangkok Bank Soi 8, on memory the USA$ accounts opened 1st floor (ie above ground floor) on the left hand side, been a long time since i was there

Made a run to Bangkok Bank, Soi 8 and got the following;

1. must go to the main bank on Silom Road

2. must have a Thai Baht account with them for six month and then maybe I can get a US dollar account setup.

I will make a run to the main bank on Silom tomorrow and see what they have to say.

TIT. More as it happens!

RF, I've mentioned that a friend keeps his money in promisary notes, cashing in enough to top up his account to 800,00 at renewal time. This year he put 700,000 into his savings account to bring it up over 800,000. He did it about a week before renewal ... and they told him not to do it next year!

I suspect thay 700,000 so close to renewal was a bit blatant. But he had done it twice before with no trouble.

Back to the subject of the thread for a moment, a fellow posting on this topic on udonmap.com mentioned that while at the Thai embassy in Vientiane, he heard a rumor about new immigration rules on November 15th. Anybody heard anything more than that?

knowing nothing more, but i read about that in the thaivisa forum.

With all large confusions for Farangs AND Immigration personnel, no wonder there is something on Nov. 15th

Archived