shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Old Hippie

<< I've been pushing the Malaysia as a alternative for years now, good to see at last many now agree. >>

I like Malaysia, especially Penang. But I feel nowhere as much at home there as I do in Thailand. I suppose I could get over that feeling though, and the language isn't that difficult to learn.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penang is good but I think I would go with Kuala Lumpur for the airport and more of an international city.

Apartments are priced OK, the infra structure is OK, but a serious shortage of massage and "fun" places, compared to BKK.

I have only been to Penang for work, quick in and a quick out (sounds like P4P) :dunno:

In 2001 I opened a personal and a business $ bank account at my favourite farang friendly bank branch, bangkok Bank Soi 8

no problems but expensive fees

Checking Bangkok Bank Website:

Individual Non-Residents

1. Passport and evidence declaring the source of funds together with a letter of recommendation as follows:

- A letter of recommendation from a reputable company, an embassy or an international organization located in Thailand.

- A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad. This must be a bank which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank and sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT.

- A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as an existing customer of Bangkok Bank.

2. Work permit (if any)

3. Any additional documents or reference which we may require.

Now, it seems that I have to have a letter from J.H. Christ for them to accept my $$$, I hope the folks at the bank will be slightly more customer friendly!

About banking, (this is not a dollar account), Krung Thai in udon told me that I can open a 6 month or 12 month time deposit and get interest rates from 3.75 to 4.75 baht, depending upon the amount and the term. I just opened a couple of checking accounts wtih them on Monday, using only my passport and O retirement visa.

I believe the reason the government discourages personal dollar-denominated accounts is that they want to discourage currency speculation -the kind that cavanami enjoys with his account in Japan.

Back to the subject of the thread for a moment, a fellow posting on this topic on udonmap.com mentioned that while at the Thai embassy in Vientiane, he heard a rumor about new immigration rules on November 15th. Anybody heard anything more than that?

A neighbour just renewed his retirement visa and told me there are signs up all over at Bangkok immigration telling about the changes in tourist and investment visas. Don't know what more they could do. He also got told off for not having 800,000 baht in his account for three months before visa renewal. They let me go this time, but said not next year. (He had dumped in about 700,000 baht just the week before though. I've heard from others who only added say 100,000 to top it up and had no problems. Seems like the main thing is you have to keep most of the required amount in the account you are using.)

I was chatting on Sunday and this young man mentioned to me that he just got his O-retirement visa and was able to show the equivqlent of 800,000 Baht in his USA bank account, not a bank account in Thailand, not a Thai baht account.

He also had a letter from the US Embassy certifying that he did have the funds in the US bank account.

This puts a new light on things, as you do not have to lose with the Baht being so strong at this time (and the dollar weak).

I think he did this thru the Denver Thai Honorary Consulate.

Archived