US warns of rift with Thai government

Central Scrutinizer

White House fears US-Thai rift

Washington (dpa) - The White House on Tuesday called on Thailand's interim government to restore civil liberties, warning that relations between the two countries will be damaged if Thailand does not return to democratic rule.

"Thailand's image in the eyes of the world and US-Thai relations will suffer until Thailand returns to its place as a democratic leader in Asia," White House deputy spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

Army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin seized power in a bloodless coup September 19, ousting billionaire prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and abolishing Thailand's 1997 constitution.

Sonthi, who has backing from Thailand's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej, later named retired general Surayud Chulanon as prime minister and announced elections will be held in October 2007.

The United States condemned the coup against Thaksin and cut 24 million dollars in mostly military aid. Thailand's interim government has continued to restrict political meetings.

"We remain concerned by restrictions on civil liberties, provisions in the draft constitution that appear to give the military an ongoing and influential role in decision-making, and the lengthy timetable for democratic elections," Perino said in a statement.

from the BKKPOst online edition: http://www.bangkokpost.net/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=113337

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other words...comply, roll over and continue to be butt fucked, or else...

Maybe Thailand should reply with, how about looking at your own restrictions on civil liberties and influence of the military in govt.

Maybe...

Guest lazyphil

you lot should be grateful the United States keeps countrys like los downtrodden and poor through its unfair foreign policys, it allows whoremongers to access cheap pussy, all this anti big dog america from whoremongers who use cheap 3rd world pussy is rather strange and hypocrytical!!....this applys to lots of usa bashing posts around here!

The US government does the right thing to pressure Thailand to return to democracy. The coup might have been necessary to prevent Thaksin from finalizing HIS monopolizing of power etc and the interim prime minister Surayud Chulanond has excellent credentials, but to play it safe - formal democracy, however imperfect feels better and it is not healthy to make rulers who are given the power by force feel too comfortable in their seats...

Even the ultra-antithaksin Nation is apprehensive and not quite at ease about the present state of affairs.

Some posters in their repetitive and boring anti-Bush rhetoric seem to take freedom for granted, but it isn't, it's a first priority principle, to quote a previous female British prime minister (I dare not even mention her name here). It would be good to separate the ideological or personal dislike of Bush from this matter of principle.

Another thing: I don't know how many expats here who five years ago were naively enthusiastic about Thaksin and now equally naively enthustically praise the coup. I disliked Thaksin from the very beginning, I found his CEO leaderstyle fascistoid and it was obvious from the very start of his first term.

And btw I don't admire Bush but, again, that is quite another issue.

Archived