New 500 Baht Banknote

I just finished reading Stickman's report for this week. He drew attention to the new 500-Baht banknote that has recently gone into circulation. I was curious to see what it looked like, so I went to check out the Bank of Thailand's webside. They have a page introducing the new banknote at:

http://www.bot.or.th/bothomepage/BankAtWork/Banknotes/printing/Notes_e/Model15_500.htm

Note, as the Stickman pointed out, all the new security features on the banknote.

Sometimes I wonder if banknotes are going to be around for much longer in the world. It seems that recent advances in technology are making it easy and economical for anyone, even without special skills, to make a decent counterfeit of a banknote. Central banks respond by adding more security features, but I think you can only go so far with this. It's a pity - I always enjoy examining banknotes from foreign countries; each has a certain beauty and style all its own.

JG

If you want to see some ngern with real security features go look at the new Euro paper money... Talk about hi-tech...

Odd thing about it.. None of the notes will have people OR real places on the notes.. All the designs are conceptual or resemblances only.

--UPSer

PS: I still think that the old B50 note with that tear-proof blue plastic/paper is the best! laugh.gif" border="0

All-

Now that I think about it, it's a good idea that the B50 is made of plastic... You don't have to worry about getting your baht wet when you spill your beer...

--UPSer

PS: I too have a stash of Baht.. Since I travel to BKK soo often I keep a lot of Baht in reserve.. Gotta love that B50!!!! laugh.gif" border="0

Polymer notes an Oz invention? I beg to differ.

I remember in the mid 80's in the Isle of Man (to people who dont know it, it is an indepenent Island between UK and Ireland famous for motorcycle racing, tailess cats and good offshore banking), around the same time that UK introduced the Pound coin, the Manx goverment introduced polymer pound notes

I think this was the worlds first, but I am open to other peoples opinions

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Mekong ]

Plastic banknotes have been produced with the obvious purpose of discouraging conterfeiting. To get the speech short, in the three year period 1980-83 American Bank Note Company produced test notes on Tyvek© for Haiti, Costa Rica and Isle of Man. For unknown reasons this project failed, but it was a milestone in the production of banknotes on non paper substrate. A few examples of the Tyvek notes are in collector albums. In 1988 Australia Reserve Bank patented a plastic material: Guardian© this material has achieved perfection in the plastic money field.

In a word, this idea has worked excellently. Note Printing Australia has patented the material, and now prints and supplies banknotes for Australia, New Zealand and a number of other nearby countries.. At the present time the growth of its market has also reached Europe end South America.

http://members.xoom.it/robertonotes/

Seek and ye shall find

Archived