Marrying in Thailand

peckieboy

Dear all,

I've tried carrying out a search but could not find all the answers I wanted so hopefully someone here can help.

I am a UK citizen (living in the UK) who is about to marry my Thai girlfriend (lives in Thailand). However I am concerned that I might not have the correct papers / documents. The wedding will take place in the family's house next month. The wedding is being arranged by the girlfriend and her family so I have no input which is not a problem. I need to make sure the marriage is recognised both in Thailand and the UK and we plan on applying for a UK visa for her.

Now my questions:

1) As the wedding is taking place in her house is this a legal wedding or is it only legal once it is registered at the local Amphur?

2) I've read on the website of the British Embassy in Bangkok that I will need an affirmation of freedom to marry. Do I need this for the wedding in the house or to register the wedding at the Amphur? The reason I ask is that I may not have time to get the affirmation between landing in Thailand and when we plan to marry.

3) Anything else I need to know?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer the above.

Regards

Peckieboy

Peckieboy, i don't claim to be an expert on this, but i did marry my Thai wife when we lived in Bangkok a few years ago so my memory/knowledge might be a bid dated. But if you've looked at the British Embassy website you'll know about the affirmation and getting it translated and legalised at the Thai government offices? You then need to go to an amphur to get married. Thats no big deal if you have all the correct paperwork and you are then legally married and thats valid both in Thailand and the UK. The Buddha wedding in the family village/town or whatever has no legal validity and you will need to do the amphur bit if you want to take your mrs back to the UK on the basis of her being your spouse.

Simie.

Do a search, there should be a sticky fr this KS,

I have been marrried three times to the same lady so I understand you confusion.

What is a real wedding anyway, the joing of two souls, perhaps witnessed by god or a government blessing?

House wedding real in the first sencec only not legally until you register.

Registration is dead easy, you'll need the document the brit embassy is tlking abuot, translated into thai, stating you are not currently married. That had to get stamped by the Thai Foreign affairs ministry or what ever they calll it out on chaeng wattana. the people who do the translation for you can organise that part as well.

All it is is a Stat Dec declared by yourelf your not married!

DOG

Hi

I am from Australia and i married my Thai darling in BKK afew years ago...

You will need:

Police check on her.

If you are divorced you will need the decre nisi to show your Consulate.

Get translated all in to thai/English...

Register then at the registraton place and witnessed.

All done!

Then you can have a ceremoney anywhere you like..all legal(in my case in both Countries)

We did all this in one day...police check cost 2000Bt to get in one day otherwise can take one week.

All in all very easy and painless :cool:

Good luck

The ceremony and the legal registration are completely separate. For the ceremony to be performed at your GF's house you need no paperwork. The process of registering is fairly straightforward and can be done in Bangkok at any time, before or after the ceremony at the house, nor does it have to be done at her home amphur. There is no ceremony when registering.

TH

Dear all,

Thank you very much everyone for the replies. I believe I now understand what is needed and it is a relief to know that I do not need any paperwork for the house ceremony. I will get the paperwork sorted out afterwards when I have more time. I'll let you all know how it went at the end of November.

Regards

Peckieboy

PS Mentors, Good luck with your arrangements

Archived