Reason for Being in Thailand

Chillers

For those of you who live in Thailand - why are you here? Walking the streets of Bangkok I can see many "reasons", most of whom wear mini skirts but what is your prime reason to be here?

Personally I'm here coz my girlfriend is under contract to the Thai government. She has to stay for another 11 years or pay them a whoppin' 500 grand (US) to break the contract!

I just read a Stickman comment:

Personally, my reason for staying here is most unusual and despite having something of a profile, pretty much no-one knows what it is. Ahhh, it's a funny old life!

So Stickman - cough it up dude. Why are you here? :)

An expat friend of mine told me everybody comes to Thailand for pussy, and I believe him. I'm willing to make an exception tho for those expats who come here with full hardship package. When they cling on to Thailand when the assignment is over the reason for staying is the same - Pussy! :)

Yeah Thai poo chai definately dont do it for me. So you must be right but than again when I first got to LoS and got hooked I wasnt into girls so there must be other reasons too.

- freedom and easy travelling for a woman alone, no hassles from Thai guys since they got enough hookers to ease up on the pressure of the kettle...

- no religious BS doctrine, like you can already feel in Malaysia> the heavyness of the Muslim men.

- the food

- and somehow there is romance in the air. Cant really put my finger on it but it is a feeling I havent got when I go visit other Asian countries...Italy has that feeling for me too.

Having lived in Thailand for nearly a decade, I know very few people here that are here for the nightlife or cheap sex. Most of those guys would only last a year or so and move on. Hard to keep you motivated for years on end. For most of my friends I bet the top reason would be for a high standard of living at a reasonably cost. Many have nice digs, and an easy lifestyle.

The problem is after years most people are too entrenched to leave.- House, car, friends, family. Unless a job pulls you to another place it is harder to leave than to stay so the years just keep on flying by. Hopefully they are moving ahead in one way or another ( financially, socially, personally, educational etc) or they may just die with nothing in Bangkok.

Some very nice comments....

I think a number of guys "get stuck" here after years of living here. They get into a certain lifestyle in which they couldn't get on the same amount of money if they were spending back home..

I also think where in LOS one lives might be for different reasons. Having lived in CM the past year, almost no one is here for the sex. They are either married to/involved with a thai women or even falang/other asian women..

The few single guys who i have met in CM just have a different agenda and lifestyle than the sex-starved guys in pattaya or bkk. Their life doesn't evolve around nightlife and seem a little bit more well-balanced.

I would say on average the typical guy in CM has 10 to 15 years than the bkk/pattaya guy so that could play a lot into it as well as 90% are married and have settled down in some way or fashion.

Maybe they want more "normalization" and you can add some boredom into their lives....

The one common theme have i found between both places is many are lacking the need for mental stimulation. Hence the need to be drawn towards other falangs, clubs, associations yet these tend to be more social (computer, golf, classic cars, rotary, etc) than intellect in design....

CB

I lived in Vientiane for a year Doggy and loved every minute, the people are friendlier than the Thais, the smiles are genuine and English more commonly used, the food is great, good bread, everything is cheaper. Boy, sitting in one of those riverfront cafes when the paper comes in at 4pm with a bottle of Beer Lao watching the river, the girls, one of the great years of my life.

Archived